Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Motor Tripping Breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Motor Tripping Breaker

Need some help/advice.
    About a month ago my 1 1/2 hp pool motor starting tripping the breaker sporadically. Around 3 weeks ago it tripped it after running for 15 minutes and would not reset. The breaker smelled a bit burnt and hot. I let it cool down and reset it then again it would run for 10-15 minutes and trip again. I decided to leave it alone and take it part to take in to my local pool shop when I had time.
    I took it in last week and was told the motor was about to go and was probably better off replacing with a new one since it was 7 years old. A very good run as they only last 3-5 years.
    I decided to go with a beautiful state of the art variable speed 2.7 hp VO Green Century motor. I got around to installing and programming it this morning. It was running super nice and quiet. 10 minutes later... The breaker tripped. Same smell and still quite warm.
    Called my pool store and after brainstorming for a bit. The owner suggested to replace the double 20 breaker as it MAY be that it went bad.
    Before I venture into that in the next few days. Is there anything else I should be looking into?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Motor Tripping Breaker

Replacing the breaker sounds like a good place to check. Do you have any timers enroute as well ? I'd check them as well.

It would be best to be using a GFCI breaker, but said GFCI dual pole 220 V breaker is about $100 for a GE brand - some are even more expensive.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

No timers routed as the new motor is all digital and timer is on it.
    Does GFCI make a difference?

4. Back To Top    #4

It is possible it could be the breaker but if both motors are hot (not just warm), smell (i.e. burning insulation) and trip a breaker, that sounds more like an overload situation.

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the wet end. Any defect causing an extra load would affect both motors in the same way. When you replaced the motor, did you also replace the seal and did you inspect all of the wet end components?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Ditto on replacing the breaker, that was probably your issue the entire time.

Unless it is required by local code gfci breakers on pumps are a nuisance, I wouldn't bother.

6. Back To Top    #6

Neither motor smells burnt. It's the breaker that smells.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oops. Pool store ripped you off.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-PB
    Ditto on replacing the breaker, that was probably your issue the entire time.

Unless it is required by local code gfci breakers on pumps are a nuisance, I wouldn't bother.
    Looks like ill be hitting Home Depot bright and early tomorrow.
    I'm not in an electrician but am pretty good at things like this.
    Any thing I should look out for when changing the breaker?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by WVUTampaAlum
    Oops. Pool store ripped you off.
    Yes and No
    The bearings were sounding a bit loud and it did trip their breaker during testing.
    I also was looking at a new high efficiency variable motor because of the age of mine.
    Could it have survived a while longer? Maybe. But it may have been draining my electric the rest of its short life.
    Maybe I'm just justifying the $700 for the new one.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If you are able to, then turn all power off to the panel before working on it.
    Here is video that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmPymLyEMk

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 - if you want to be as safe as possible - kill the power to the panel you're working in.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Im planning on turning off the main house breaker before even attempting to touch a screwdriver to anything.
    Safety First!

13. Back To Top    #13

Update:
    Replaced breaker this morning $12. It's been running for and hour and a half. Finally! The positive red wire was burned about an inch and half from the breaker. Lucky it didn't catch fire.
    Thanks to all for the help! I'm glad I found you guys on here. I'm sure ill be posting other questions shortly as my pool vac just died.