Using solar power to power pool pump!

Sep 22, 2012
I am interested in powering my pool pump during the daylight hours (10-12 HRS) using solar panels. I am also wanting to design some kind of switching that will switch it back to grid power whenever I need to run pumps in the late evening. Has anyone used solar on their pump. I do not have a pool yet or know what pump I will be using, but am just researching this to see if it is worth the money. Do the Intelliflo have some kind of output contact that can operate an external relay. Would love to do the switching with the touch of a button.

From my preliminary info here in Michigan the cost of the solar generation system coupled with the dual metering requirements in our state don't net much of an ROI. At least, that's the party line from my hvac engineer pal and my husband, who also has an engineering background.
The lennox system I was looking at starts around $25,000.

I may still do it one day when our boiler system (which will cost about 10k to replace) gets past the point of no return, but that would be if and only if I could ascertain that we'd be off the grid enough year round as retirees to have rationalized the investment. (I'm nowhere near enough to retirement at the moment, but am interested in still being able to afford our utilities when I am, because I hope to die here by the pool and the woods one day ;))

Now, I've been talking whole house, poolhouse and pool power -- maybe there is a simpler pool only option out there that's viable in a state that's more solar friendly. Good luck in your research!

Without knowing where you live, its hard to know if solar would be worthwhile. Likely if you invest whatever you budgeted for solar into insulating/weatherstripping your house better you would have a much better return on your investment.

Here in California, there are direct rebates for installing solar panels. In addition, I think there are US government tax breaks for installing solar panels. Panel and inverter prices are coming down, so it might turn out to be a good investment in the long run. Keep in mind that solar panels are typically rated only out to 25 years, and their output diminishes each year after installation. So, keep this in mind with respect to your retirement plan. Yes, it would be nice to not have to worry about power bills on a fixed income. But, you might outlive your panels, and I think that would generally be a good thing.

My understanding is that the inverter/controller ties into your system at the meter and that it acts to reduce your draw from the power company (or even run the meter in reverse when your panels put out more wattage than your home is using). You wouldn't have to worry about switching over at the pump itself; this would all be handled by the PV system. With a VS pump, you can likely keep your power draw to less that 500W for much of the run time, so you would be covered (and then some) using even a small solar PV setup.

We have a detached garage with its own 200 amp electrical service. It is a 2 story garage with the second floor and most of the first floor finished. So, it has heat and AC. The pool has a 100 amp panel that is tied in to the detached garage. The garage has a southern facing roof with no obstructions. In the future we figure we will put solar panels up there to provide as least some of the power for the garage HVAC and pool equipment.

Right now, our electric rate is low enough that it doesn't make sense to install the solar panels. But, I'm sure I can count on our electric rate going up. And, solar panels keep getting more efficient and less expensive. So, at some point, it will make financial sense.

turbo v6 camaro said:
you wil need 3-4 panels do do this, and a verable speed pump, the pump will draw about 300watts on low speed and you will need and inverter.

there is a you tube of a video of guy that did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx63X3BS27E

Thanks for the link to the video.

I've also got the Hayward Ecostar pump. I typically run it at about 1550 rpm, so it uses about 275 watts.

I'll be able to have a lot more sq. ft. of solar panels than the guy in the Youtube video. If he is getting about 260 watts from those few panels, with the space on my roof, I should be able to generate over 2 kw. That will cover the pool pump and the A/C in the garage... :party:

But, at this point, our electric rate is so low, it isn't worth the investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.