Can't find my leak

Jun 19, 2011
my set-up:
vinyl lined in-ground pool but with a complete concrete shell.
2 skimmers and main drain on bottom all on south end of pool.
Pool pump around 30 feet due west of the western-most skimmer.
3 returns on the norther end of the pool in the walls.

symptoms:
I lost about 6 inches in the last 48 hours with pump NOT running.
I lose it at a faster rate (possibly twice that rate) when the pump is running.
I get some bubbles in the first return when the pump is running.
I've lost 1.5 feet (or so) in 5 days.

Since the pool is concrete lined, a vinyl leak would be contained, would it not? I see no bubbling behind the liner (plus level wouldn't fall.)
I see no noticeable wet spots on the pool-to-pump pipe route.
The route from pump to pool goes under quite a bit of concrete .
The exact routing of the plumbing is not known.

What should my next step be?

The water level seems to have stabilized. It is about 60% of the way down the pool light. The only other penetration of the liner are the stairs. They are a hard plastic "pre-fabbed" stairs that are inset into (outside) the perimeter of the pool. Roughly 1 step is still submerged and the other 3 are above the water level. I felt around each item for softness behind the liner and felt none. I've inspected the liner from above and can't see any problems.

Any thoughts or advice on what else to look for/check/test?

Bama Rambler said:
I'd suspect the light niche if that's where it stopped.

So what would you recommend? Getting a new niche gasket and applying that? Tightening the niche-to-wall screws? Trying to add water and do a dye test? Would you suspect leaking behind the niche and going behind the liner? Going through the niche and into the ground behind the wall? Following the electrical conduit?
My liner isn't bulging, so I would (in my guestimation) eliminate leaking behind it. I wouldn't suspect leaking down the conduit to the point of electrical connection because the level fell too quickly for that small area and I saw no water around the connection box which is at a higher level anyway. There is no gasket that seals the light enclosure into the niche area, so there is nothing to fix there unless the conduit is broken and water is leaking out of it.

It's either the niche body or the conduit. You can remove the light and try using food coloring to find it.

If it's the conduit you can seal it up but that's not the right thing to do.
If it's the niche itself you will have to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.