Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Contractor Used Wrong Color Spray Deck - NEED ADVICE!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Contractor Used Wrong Color Spray Deck - NEED ADVICE!!

My contractor used the wrong color for our spray deck. They used Gro-Lac All Purpose Acryllic Deck Coating from Groco Specialy Coatings. The application seems good, but it is simply the wrong color. The mistake in the color choice is clearly on the contractor.

What is the proper way to fix this? My concern here, is that I am not certain that simply painting the correct color on top of the wrong color will provide the durability we need from this application. The acryllic coating they applied went directly onto the unfinished spray deck texturing. I am concered that if we simply apply more coats of acryllic coating to the in place coating we'll be scraping of these additional "top coats" over time.

Can anyone provide some insight here. Should the contractor grind off the spray deck and start over? Do they need to blast/acid etch the coating before adding additional coats.

I appreciate any feedback you may have.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Contractor Used Wrong Color Spray Deck - NEED ADVICE!!

Your best advice is going to come from the coating mfg. I'd call them and tell them what happened and see how they recommend handling it. Spraying over what's applied may be fine but they need to tell you that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB painted the acrylic lace decking to the color we wanted. When we saw the decking going down, we were wondering about the color- then a day later another couple guys showed up and painted all the decking.
    * 18.5 K Gallon, 8ft deep, IG, Pebble Radiance * Pentair VS 3050 Pump w/420 Cartridge Filter
    * Blue Square Q-360 In-floor Cleaning System * UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator
    * Pool startup: 09-04-2012 * TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Yeh Kendall makes an interesting point are you sure the jobs finished? May it be an undercoat?
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK

5. Back To Top    #5

I looked at the product sheet for what I assume is the material used - Looks like it is a simple coating after initial surface prep. Didn't see anything about priming concrete (priming for wood/metal). Anyways have you even talked to the contractor about it yet? See what he has to say about the color and then contact the mfr about the correct procedure for re-painting.
    95,000 Lt (25,000 Gallon) IGP 12.5m x 7m & Seperate Spa 2.2m x 2.1m. Gemtex and tile finish Spa fully tiled. Waterco Micron glass bead filter S800, Viron P600 eVo variable speed pump. Viron Connect Pool and Spa Controller touchscreen. Chemigem D10 Auto PH/Chlorine Controller. Sunlover Oasis C25 Heat Pump for Pool & Viron 250 LPG Gas Heater for Spa. 7 LED Lights. Polaris 280 with booster pump. Pool Cover and Roller. TF-100 Test Kit and Speed Stirrer