Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Do you use those Gizmos or not?

26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the Gizmos in my skimmers.

19 73.08%
  • No, I do not use the Gizmos in my skimmers.

7 26.92%

Thread: Do you use gizmos in your skimmers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Allentown, PA

Do you use gizmos in your skimmers?

Those Gizmos seem like the only thing from stopping your pipes from freezing is the gizmo and the O-ring. I have removed gizmos in the past and found the o-rings were cracked. I had a pool service close the pool one gizmo had teflon tape and the other gizmo used an O-ring. I was not sure how they should be installed, I guess both ways would work as long as they do not leak. So anyhow, I switched over to a 2 liter bottle with sand, antifreeze, and a rubber plug. How do you guys do it?
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Richmond, Texas

Re: Do you use gizmos in your skimmers?

I don't use them, but I also live in warm S.E. Texas! I really try to stay S. of Interstate 10 at all times between Dec and April.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

oops.. I just realized I don't know what gizmos are. I thought you meant the handles that attach to the skimmer baskets. Well dang, not if you fill them with anti-freeze!
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM

4. Back To Top    #4
    Jamestown, ND

I blow the lines out, pour antifreeze down the pipes and add some air, plug the lines with a threaded cap and gasket, and I do use one gizmo on the very old metal line where the threads are worn away. There I use a rubber gizmo. Then I refill the pool to my desired level and put on my mesh meyco cover and walk away. I do put a half jub of the pool antifreeze in the skimmer upside down just in case. I also have a cover that goes over the skimmer just as a secondary measure. Thats about it. I live in ND so it gets COLD here. Plan to close up the pool here next weekend as the water is down to 60 now. Plus the leaves are dropping like crazy. Guess the season is done.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool:

5. Back To Top    #5

New Jersey

My pool was built in 2004 and I had the PB close it the first season. He said gizmos can crack and fill with water. He used two 1-quart chem bottles (Polyquat type) and put a screw plug in the skimmer outlet. I put two bricks on top to keep them from floating and I have kept doing the same thing through seven winters. Only problem is with BBB I don't buy those kind of chems anymore and my bottles are aging. Still, they are definitely better and heavier plastic than the gizmos.

I also put a 25lb. chem bucket with more bricks over the skimmer cover to keep the rain out.

On my old pool, I used old tennis balls with a rock on top. That worked, too, but that skimmer line was self-draining and I didn't need to plug it.

Just never use metal to weight anything down. It rusts and makes a mess. I was only 15 when I made that mistake.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.