Phoenix, Arizona USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I need to drain about 20% of my pool and refill with tap water to lower CYA. However, it's a closed system with a cartridge filter - no backwash tap. Do I just rig something up such as remove the swg cell and redirect the flow via a backwash hose? I can restrict intake to just the drain with valves. Or is there a better way?

You may just head up to Home Depot and get yourself a cheapish sump pump and use that. You can rent one, but I am willing to bet that you will need it again at some point. Might as well have your own.

257WbyMag said:
You may just head up to Home Depot and get yourself a cheapish sump pump and use that. You can rent one, but I am willing to bet that you will need it again at some point. Might as well have your own.

I don't know, it's mostly bone dry here in Phoenix.

My PB actually put a hose connection between the pump and filter. There is also a drain plug on the bottom of the filter canister (below the pipe connections). But the pump suggestion would be the way to go if you don't have a hose connection.

Great ideas, I only wish I'd waited to read these before heading to Home Depot. I removed the swg and added this 3" to 1.5" rubber fitting with a piece of PVC to clamp the hose to. It worked great but would rather have the drain plug valve!

[attachment=0:213rvfzm]image.jpg[/attachment:213rvfzm]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 234

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.