Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: How to drain a cartridge filter pool?

How to drain a cartridge filter pool?

I need to drain about 20% of my pool and refill with tap water to lower CYA. However, it's a closed system with a cartridge filter - no backwash tap. Do I just rig something up such as remove the swg cell and redirect the flow via a backwash hose? I can restrict intake to just the drain with valves. Or is there a better way?
    30K Gallons | Cartridge | In Ground | Plaster | WhisperFlo 2HP | Filter Flow Rate: 150 GPM
    SWG installed - but not working, needs new cell

Re: How to drain a cartridge filter pool?

You may just head up to Home Depot and get yourself a cheapish sump pump and use that. You can rent one, but I am willing to bet that you will need it again at some point. Might as well have your own.
    TFP Moderator
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    You may just head up to Home Depot and get yourself a cheapish sump pump and use that. You can rent one, but I am willing to bet that you will need it again at some point. Might as well have your own.
    I don't know, it's mostly bone dry here in Phoenix.
    30K Gallons | Cartridge | In Ground | Plaster | WhisperFlo 2HP | Filter Flow Rate: 150 GPM

I think it costs about $30, maybe less,to rent a pump for 4 hours. Should take about 2 hours to drain 6K gallons once it's running.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

Actually, may not be a bad idea because one could calculate gallons per min instead of eyeballing water level...

This may help it's what I did with mine:
    adding-a-to-waste-drain-to-plumbing-t35088.html?hilit=drain

Hope it helps.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, SWCG CPSC48, SmartPool Nitro SmartKleen NC22 robotic pool cleaner, Lakeland Florida

My PB actually put a hose connection between the pump and filter. There is also a drain plug on the bottom of the filter canister (below the pipe connections). But the pump suggestion would be the way to go if you don't have a hose connection.
    * 18.5 K Gallon, 8ft deep, IG, Pebble Radiance * Pentair VS 3050 Pump w/420 Cartridge Filter
    * Blue Square Q-360 In-floor Cleaning System * UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator
    * Pool startup: 09-04-2012 * TF-100 Test Kit

Senior Member In the Industry

We always install a hose bib on the return side of the filter to make it easy to drain down some water if needed.
    You could cut one in. Not a bad thing to have when we get a big storm and pool is overflowing.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

Great ideas, I only wish I'd waited to read these before heading to Home Depot. I removed the swg and added this 3" to 1.5" rubber fitting with a piece of PVC to clamp the hose to. It worked great but would rather have the drain plug valve!

[attachment=0:213rvfzm]image.jpg[/attachment:213rvfzm]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member In the Industry

That is some nice out of the box thinking.

And when you are done you can return it all.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,