Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Platinum Legend "Back up"

1. Back To Top    #1

Platinum Legend "Back up"

What does the "Back-up" valve really do on this cleaner? In my pool it tends to send the Krawler floating "in space" and getting hung up at the inlet hose. It seems if that did not go off, all would get cleaned fine. It also tends to shoot a spray at random spots once in a while (like on someone sitting near the pool), while in "back-up" mode.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Platinum Legend "Back up"

Quote Originally Posted by tcat
    What does the "Back-up" valve really do on this cleaner? In my pool it tends to send the Krawler floating "in space" and getting hung up at the inlet hose. It seems if that did not go off, all would get cleaned fine. It also tends to shoot a spray at random spots once in a while (like on someone sitting near the pool), while in "back-up" mode.
    It's purpose is to periodically pull the cleaner away from wherever it is (in case it gets stuck somewhere).

If the cleaner never gets stuck you can replace the backup valve with a swivel and be done with it.

However, it's more likely that the hose needs to be shortened. Check your owners manual for the the proper setup.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Platinum Legend "Back up"

Thanks. I did look at the manual and hose looks about right. I did flip the plate in the back-up valve around so the 3/8" hole is now used. It appears to have helped a lot (it doesn't travel as fast or as high in the water, so doesn't loop itself over the top of the hose at the inlet). It does get stuck once in while (usually facing straight at the stairs), so I'll leave it on. I also put the rear tires on the front which helps it get unstuck. Tread is completely worn off 2 tires.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB