I've been struggling with what I thought was mustard algae since July. Changed pool companies and they were able to get my chlorine levels up, but I don't think it's helped. I took a picture this morning and I've attached. Can someone help me identify, then demolish this stuff. Or, can I shut down this year and start fresh next year. I've scrubbed and shocked until my arms are about to fall off. I've used every product known to the pool world to no avail. I don't have a test kit yet, but ordering it after this post.
Had to replace the pump (and the darn chord is to short), but using an extension chord (Did have a 2 HP and they said a 1-1/2 HP would work). Replaced the sand in the filter this year.
15 x 25 AG (9,200 Gallons I think)
Readings today from pool store (They use the method of testing that you suggest - no machine):
PH 7.8 (Added product to bring this down - 1.25 lbs. of low n slow)
Total ALK: 105
Adj. Total ALK: 85 (Added product to bring this up)
Total Hardness: 185