Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I'm in Charlotte - this is my first year with this pool. I'm unclear what is normally done in this area to close a pool. I've seen people recommend a full blown closing (pun intended) and people recommend just running the pump when the temp is below freezing.

We don't get hard freezes below ground - we do get temps that drop into teens on occasion and have seen single digits one or twice I think - never ever below zero that I know of.

Fall is going to be a bear with this pool also - so I would like to put the safety cover on and keep pumping and adding bleach as needed until the water is cold enough to close. Then I would like to do a minimal closing if that is rational. I'd like to simply lower the water, plug the return and skimmer, and pull drain plugs on the pump and filter. I don't think it is necessary to blow out the lines etc but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure how I'm going to get to my returns after cover is on.

<sigh>

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Bluegrassman said:
Do you have a backup power generator? My only concern with leaving it running in the winter is the possibility of a freeze combined with power failure.

Frequently we lose power - no generator here. I would prefer to drain the pump and filter but don't think I need to drain the lines completely and add antifreeze based on the lack of ground freeze here.

Blowing out the lines is not very difficult, and can be achieved with a shop vac. You don't have to fill the lines with anti-freeze, just blow a little through them until some anti-freeze comes out of the returns, and put a plug in them. That leaves a little in the low spots. Blow from the skimmers through the pump to the returns, air lock the main drain when it bubbles.

ivyleager said:
I'm from Durham, NC and I know of no pool owner in this area that blows out their lines. I routinely drain filter/motor, and use a cover pump to drain excess water. I don't even lower the water level much, just a few inches.

Thanks! The weather up your way if anything is colder.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I have a spring loaded safety cover - but when we bought the house the pool (with cover) had sat for 1-2 years covered. It was pretty much OK but the ladder was not removed. There is a zippered section that opens at the ladder and the cover is made so the ladder can remain in. I'm not sure if I should pull it or leave it - and frankly have tugged at it and not had any luck moving it.

Thoughts?

Second question - Does the slide need any special treatment? Do I need to cover it?

UnderWaterVanya said:
I have a spring loaded safety cover - but when we bought the house the pool (with cover) had sat for 1-2 years covered. It was pretty much OK but the ladder was not removed. There is a zippered section that opens at the ladder and the cover is made so the ladder can remain in. I'm not sure if I should pull it or leave it - and frankly have tugged at it and not had any luck moving it.

Thoughts?

Second question - Does the slide need any special treatment? Do I need to cover it?

The cover was probably made like that because the ladder won't come out, not to worry.
As far as the slide is concerned; it needs no special treatment either, they just endure.

Qwaxalot said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

Thoughts?

The cover was probably made like that because the ladder won't come out, not to worry.
As far as the slide is concerned; it needs no special treatment either, they just endure.

Thanks!
The slide does have a water supply which pentrates the concrete and goes up the ladder so I assume this might need to be blown out - it's low diameter and probably would freeze easily otherwise.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Qwaxalot said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

Thoughts?

Thanks!
The slide does have a water supply which pentrates the concrete and goes up the ladder so I assume this might need to be blown out - it's low diameter and probably would freeze easily otherwise.

If you get freezing temperatures, yes blow out the slide line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UnderWaterVanya said:
I'm in Charlotte - this is my first year with this pool. I'm unclear what is normally done in this area to close a pool. I've seen people recommend a full blown closing (pun intended) and people recommend just running the pump when the temp is below freezing.

We don't get hard freezes below ground - we do get temps that drop into teens on occasion and have seen single digits one or twice I think - never ever below zero that I know of.

Fall is going to be a bear with this pool also - so I would like to put the safety cover on and keep pumping and adding bleach as needed until the water is cold enough to close. Then I would like to do a minimal closing if that is rational. I'd like to simply lower the water, plug the return and skimmer, and pull drain plugs on the pump and filter. I don't think it is necessary to blow out the lines etc but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure how I'm going to get to my returns after cover is on.

<sigh>

Thoughts and advice welcome.

i live just north of charlotte. this will be my second winter. last year i did not close my pool and i do not intend to close it this winter.

i turn on my pump when the overnight temp drops below 30 deg F.

ivyleager said:
Yeah, I did that one year (kept the motor/pump online) and was out of town when temps dropped to mid 20s. Hubby didn't remember to turn on pump. We were lucky. Warmed up to 45 degrees next day, no problem. But again, lucky.
Shudder! Automation?

- Sent using Tapatalk

OK - I have read about Pool Closing and I have watched a few video's and I think I have a good handle on it. Here's my plan:

Givens:
I'm going to shock the pool as specified in the article in Pool School.
I'm going to use Polyquat as specified in the same article. I already bought it - so why not?
I'm NOT going to drain the pool based on the minimal amount of freezing ponds and so forth show here in my climate.

I am going to blow out the lines and cap them.
I am not planning to add antifreeze.
I am going to pull drain plugs on filter and pump.
Safety Cover will be partly installed - pool will be clean and ready to close.

I have one skimmer, a main drain, 3 returns, and a slide.

I have a detailed idea of how I will blow out the lines - without disconnecting any pad plumbing and I love to have some smart folks look it over:

PUMP IS OFF FROM HERE ON:

1) Set filter to closed to isolate suction side plumbing.
2) Connect Ultra Gizzmo to skimmer.
3) Blow out main drain - after a couple of minutes of bubbles - shut main drain valve at pad. Have helper shut off blower.
4) Set filter to recirculate.
5) Plug two of three drains.
6) Blow through skimmer to empty return; plug; shut down blower.
7) Repeat 6 for next two returns. When doing last return also open slide valve - close before plugging last return if feasible. Have helper shut down blower when last return is plugged.
8) Switch filter position to WASTE.
9) Blow through skimmer to push out water still in pump/filter.
10) Open Pump Basket
11) Pull drain plugs from pump and filter and store in basket.
12) Coat plugs threads and threads in pump/filter body with something to protect them.
13) Set filter valve to Winter
14) Have a beer with my helper(s) :cheers:

BTW - I've seen people advise to use expanding rubber plugs and I've seen others advise to use threaded plugs - which type of plug works better for closing a pool? The costs seem pretty close - is there any other reason to choose one over the other?

Can I leave the insert in the return rather than pull it off if I use the expanding plugs? This means I don't have to have one of the special tools to pull the insert out with for now.

UnderWaterVanya said:
BTW - I've seen people advise to use expanding rubber plugs and I've seen others advise to use threaded plugs - which type of plug works better for closing a pool? The costs seem pretty close - is there any other reason to choose one over the other?

Can I leave the insert in the return rather than pull it off if I use the expanding plugs? This means I don't have to have one of the special tools to pull the insert out with for now.

Either one works fine.
For what it's worth, you can usually get the insert out with a pair of channel locks.

Qwaxalot said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

Either one works fine.
For what it's worth, you can usually get the insert out with a pair of channel locks.

I've used a pipe wrench for that before - but that tore up the edge a bit.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Qwaxalot said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

Either one works fine.

I've used a pipe wrench for that before - but that tore up the edge a bit.

If it's torn up, replace it. Return fittings are not expensive.

Water is 68 dang... I really need to close soon father-in-law hurt his back and can't empty skimmer our scoop leaves and too many are already falling...

I have polyquat... Can I get away with closing if I use the polyquat?

Loop loc ? safety cover.
No drain pump required...
-sent with Tapatalk 2

UnderWaterVanya said:
Water is 68 dang...I have polyquat... Can I get away with closing if I use the polyquat?
I've read the articles on closing with Polyquat. Here's where I am:

FC:16 (I have been shocking for a few days; leaves dropping in constantly)
CC:0.5 or less (hard to tell if I actually saw any pink it was so faint if at all...)
TA: 70-80 (last time checked - no acid added since last check)
pH: ? Checked FAST due to FC levels; it registered about 7.6 and then went up to maybe 8.0
CH: 260 (not checked recently)
CYA: 55 (not checked for about 3 weeks; no backwashing in this time)

The FC is pretty high for Polyquat - they recommend 5-10ppm shock and then let it drop a few days before adding it and letting it circulate for a day to mix fully.

My options as I see them:

1) Cover, without closing, keep running the pump and checking/adjusting chemistry. Wait until water temp drops to 60, run it up to shock and close.

2) As #1 but let the FC drop and when low enough add polyquat, wait a day, then close.

3) Don't cover, fight the leaves for another month, get frustrated - shoot pool with one of many firearms around the house.

4) Cover and Close and deal with it next year.

I'm leaning towards #1 or #2 depending on how quickly FC falls while covered and how quickly the temp falls while covered.

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.