help me get pool clear, was green, now bluish/gray

May 13, 2008
We bought a new house and the pool's water was dark green. Based on some things I read, we poured 2 jugs of chlorine in the water and it went from dark green to a bluish green and after adding more chlorine things havnt changed from the bluish green. We were told that we had to get all the leaves of the bottom first so after hours of doing that it seems they are all gone now. So what should we do to get it clean?

The people we bought the house from couldnt tell us how many gallons the pool was so I was also looking for advice on how to find out how many gallons it may be. Also, the only other thing to say about it is that it is gunite. Also, there is a hot tub that flows with the pool. there is a waterfall type thing that causes water from the hottub to go into the pool. here is a picture of the pool http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/11/ ... 0_0290.JPG its too big or i would have just added it as an image If I can provide any other information for your suggestions please let me know. Thanks so much in advance for your help

this is a good site that has a lot of stickys posted to the top of the page. they have been invaluable in teaching me about my pool!

first i would find a local pool supply and take a 16oz bottle of pool water to them to test. Usually this is done for free.

Post all the numbers here and the experts (not me :oops: ) will get back to you.

Here is what I would do.

1. Order a good testkit, TF-100 or K-2006, then take a water sample to the pool store for testing.
2. take a picture of all your equipment, model numbers are best so that you can get help figuring out your equipment pad.
3. measure the length and width of the pool and the deepest and shallowest parts.
4. go to http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and enter in the dimensions to get a guess at the volume of your pool.
5. add chlorine to get you to 15ppm, use the same calculator.
6. keep the chlorine at 15ppm until its clean.

*Note, the 15ppm will change depending on your CYA reading, but until you get that 15 ppm will work.

First - welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of help and friendly advice from a number of folks here.

As has been stated, purchase a quality test kit from TF on the home page link or your local pool store. I think most here use the TF-100 or the K-2006. Without a quality testing system you are merely shooting in the dark.
With a good set of numbers from your pool, solid suggestions can be given to have a sparkling pool this summer.

Again - welcome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.