Been fighting algae for 3 days...still green

lisav

Sep 19, 2012
I just started on Wednesday using bleach to kill my algae. Have about a 10,000 gallon pool. Used 16 96oz bottles of 6% on Wednesday and then 5 bottles of 12% 1 gallon each. Using a standard test that goes to 10 and the calculator to try to keep it at 15ppm.
Should I have seen a difference by now? Since I have not, does this mean my guess work is not keeping the fc high enough?

My goal is to clear so I can close for winter, so I am wondering if there is a better way than keep spending money on chemicals.
We had neglected the pool all of August due to being busy, so the water is dark green. I am trying to brush 1 or 2x a day even though I can't see anything.

Welcome to TFP

In order to help we need a good set of test results and in order for you to give us that, you need a good test kit.

You can either get a good test kit and clear it this year or just close it and get a good test kit next year and deal with it then.

It would appear that you are trying to shock your pool?

You need to know what your CYA level is.

15ppm chlorine would be OK if your CYA is 40 but if CYA is at 80 you are nowhere near where you need to be with your FC to be shocking.

As Dave said, you need to get a good test kit and do the pool school if you want to clear the algae.

I feel the need to point out, since no one has mentioned it, even though we don't know your CYA levels yet, irregardless.

THAT'S A LOT OF CHLORINE!!! :shock:
According to pool calc, using the size estimate given of your pool and the numbers on your bleach doses, assuming 12.5% bleach, not 12% as you stated, then that yields an FC rise of 136PPM!!!!!!

Do wait till you get a CYA reading and a proper FC reading before adding anymore bleach at all.
That much FC, to be properly buffered at shock level would require a CYA level of approximately 340ppm.

A link for good test kits, with very, very fast shipping are in most of our signatures at the bottom of our posts, mine included. It's the TF100 link on the 1st line in mine.

Good luck, hope to hear back from you as to your progress. We're more than happy to help and that's what we're here for.

y_not said:
I feel the need to point out, since no one has mentioned it, even though we don't know your CYA levels yet, irregardless.

According to pool calc, using the size estimate given of your pool and the numbers on your bleach doses, assuming 12.5% bleach, not 12% as you stated, then that yields an FC rise of 136PPM!!!!!!

Do wait till you get a CYA reading and a proper FC reading before adding anymore bleach at all.
That much FC, to be properly buffered at shock level would require a CYA level of approximately 340ppm.

A link for good test kits, with very, very fast shipping are in most of our signatures at the bottom of our posts, mine included. It's the TF100 link on the 1st line in mine.

Good luck, hope to hear back from you as to your progress. We're more than happy to help and that's what we're here for.

They probably used that amount over the three days, not all at once. Don't forget that the chlorine can be consumed quickly when fighting the algae, especially when it's very green. Also given we don't know the CYA level, they may have needed that much to get to shock level.....

PAGirl said:
y_not said:

They probably used that amount over the three days, not all at once. Don't forget that the chlorine can be consumed quickly when fighting the algae, especially when it's very green. Also given we don't know the CYA level, they may have needed that much to get to shock level.....

Regardless, that's a lot of chlorine in a 10K gallon pool. This is where investing in a proper $50-$70 test kit is money wisely spent and exactly why we sound like a broken record "need a test kit...need a good test kit"

As most of us know, BBB is not just about using bleach, but having the knowledge about your water chemistry and how certain chemicals work on that chemistry. Without a proper baseline, we are all just guessing.

dmanb2b said:
BBB is..... having the knowledge about your water chemistry and how certain chemicals work on that chemistry. Without a proper baseline, we are all just guessing.
This is exactly it, and the heart of this forum. Spend $70 now on a good test kit, and you will never waste another dollar on unnecessary expensive chemicals ever again.

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

PAGirl said:

Sure, I understand that CL can be consumed like mad by a major algae outbreak, but seeing as the OP doesn't have a proper test kit for shocking and is just guessing. I didn't want the OP blindly dumping in any more CL with out knowing where they're at on rate of consumption and CL demand.

I just felt it was too risky, because if it's not really consuming that much CL and the non high-cl test kit is lying to them or bleaching out, making it look like there isn't enough in there, when there's already waaaayyy too much present to begin with, then that opens up the window to all sorts of potential damage to the pool itself and the equipment.

I know it's very frowned upon with this forum, as it should be, to just blindly dump in CL or guessing when shocking. That's never a good idea.
So I was just picking up the torch and running with it, since no one else had yet mentioned it.
dmanb2b said:
Regardless, that's a lot of chlorine in a 10K gallon pool. This is where investing in a proper $50-$70 test kit is money wisely spent and exactly why we sound like a broken record "need a test kit...need a good test kit"

As most of us know, BBB is not just about using bleach, but having the knowledge about your water chemistry and how certain chemicals work on that chemistry. Without a proper baseline, we are all just guessing.
Smykowski said:
This is exactly it, and the heart of this forum. Spend $70 now on a good test kit, and you will never waste another dollar on unnecessary expensive chemicals ever again.

I couldn't agree more. A "proper" test kit is imperative, it saves money in the end. LOL, yeah, we are kind of a broken record, but we have to make the point known & clear, as without that test kit, or one like it, you're at the mercy of guesswork and the pool store. *shudders*
The proper tools to do a job correctly are life savers in the end. Sometimes you can cut corners, but not here, this is chemistry after all, oversimplified, yes, but it's still complex under the surface and you need to know what's going on, or you'll be lost, your pool will suffer and so will you and your wallet too. Not a fun place to be.
Trouble free is the place to be, like Miss Perry's Candy Land. :thequeen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.