Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Half deck 18 x 33 - how to cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Half deck 18 x 33 - how to cover

So we are trying to cover but cant use cable because of the deck. Any suggestions? We have the part/side of the cover anchored to the deck that has one to anchor to but the side with no deck - do you think the clips will hold it? I live in missouri so winter can be icy and windy with snow. Any suggestions?
    18x33 54" AG SWG 1-1/2hp
    waterway cartridge 150 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    Waaay NW MN

Re: Half deck 18 x 33 - how to cover

Use cable and only tighten on the non deck sides? You sure could put a winch in each side off deck and anchor on the deck, right? Also wondering hiw tge heck you plan any liner-rail maintenance if you built tge deck so its impossible to get at the rails and sides. Most leave a gap which allows for that and also frost heave in areas with winter freeze. Just sayin....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

We have a beaded liner and the top rails are exposed. but i do have a gap between rails and deck.
    18x33 54" AG SWG 1-1/2hp
    waterway cartridge 150 sq ft

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

I'd get a bunch of gallon jugs and fill them with water and hang them on the cover. If you can't do that on the deck side, use water bags there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Altoona, AL

We do exactly what Dave just suggested. It works wonderfully.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Half deck 18 x 33 - how to cover UYou can try to use these - $14.99 for a pack of 15 at harbor Freight - this is what we used! And buy some bungee cords to hang bricks or water jugs - hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    Sand filter with SWG attached.
    Deck added on (05/18/2013)
    Thinking about adding more deck
    Pool steps added in - (got rid of that crappy ladder that came with Intex pool) 05/18/2013.

"A little bit of paradise in our yard"

7. Back To Top    #7

Northampton, PA

I have the same situation for my pool. I used a cable/winch around the pool, then spaced eye screws every several feet on the deck, through a grommet in the cover, and fed the cable through each eye. I also used cement filled 5 gallon buckets on the cover where the deck ends on each side to hold down the cover where the cable drops down below the top rails again. On the outside I hung a few water filled bleach bottles as well. Seems to be doing the trick so far. We have had some very windy weather here in eastern PA lately and it is working pretty well. I have some wind getting under the cover on the outer side where the bottles are hung, but its better than the clips I used last year. I have also heard using screws and washers to screw down cover at several grommets into the deck. I have not tried that, but it seems like it would work. Obviously both of these methods put a few holes in the deck, which you may not like.
    21' round x 3' Vinyl AG 8300Gal, Waterway 1.5HP pump, Waterway 100# Sand filter