First winter closing 24' Above Ground. Double check me!

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
Hi gang,

Well, the sad time for closing has come to middle TN. It's pretty regularly in the 70's or low 80's for high temps now, with lows in the 50's...kids and wife want no part of the 72 degree water! :shock:

This will be my first close. I've read, studied, asked, checked, and looked...and I THINK I have the process in place, but I'd like some extra brains here just in case I'm missing something. :)

1) For this week, I've maintained an elevated chlorine reading of 10-20 ppm (CYA of 50) to kill off any last remaining nasties. Last night, I brought it up to shock level one last time. This morning's test showed 0ppm CC, 0ppm OFCL. pH is at 7.5. So we're good on chemistry/values I think. I've also brushed and vacuumed every day this week. All toys and floats are in the pool, bathing in the chlorine.

2) I've started draining today, will be taking the water down to its "minimum operating range". Will leave the pump on high tonight to filter the last of anything that might be floating around in there.

3) Tomorrow, we'll drain to an inch or so below the skimmer.

4) I'll drain the sand filter by removing the plug at the bottom. I plan to leave the drain plug out for the winter.

5) Pump and its hoses will be removed, drained, and stored inside, as will the return fountain and return hose. I've already replaced the pump once this year (Don't ask...suffice to say, that pool-sitter won't be asked for help again *heh*) so I'm fairly comfortable with this process.

6) Valve will be placed in "Winterize" position, and filter covered with garbage bags, secured to prevent escape.

7) Cover placed on pool.

==================

Am I missing anything, gang? Don't want to screw this up...and believe me, I'm GOOD at screwing things up! :-D

Thanks in advance for any insights.

You can store the plugs in the pump basket for safe keeping. Pull the ladder/stairs out? Sounds good to me but I haven't winterized one yet either, just read a lot here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.