Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing and the filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterizing and the filter

I have a 24" filter with 350lbs of sand in it. I can't move it at all. Not even without water. When I winterize, can I just take off the valve, open the drain valve and cover the opening? I really don't want to move that. I might end up on CNN.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winterizing and the filter

I think many people just drain the water and leave it sit. The concern is water freezing, expanding, and breaking something. No water ... no worry.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was hoping to hear that. We freeze so little down here I am going to leave it. I will zip tie a heavy layer of tarp material over the opening. I actually have a heavy thermal blanket that might cover the whole thing. I guess I could fill it with vodka.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Glock,

I have the same sized sand filer and live in Michigan. I don't even remove the muliport valve when I winterize. All I do is remove the drain cap, no blanket. Never had a freezing problem. Save the vodka, if I'm ever down that way, I'll help you drink it!
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by nedchavez
    Glock,

I have the same sized sand filer and live in Michigan. I don't even remove the muliport valve when I winterize. All I do is remove the drain cap, no blanket. Never had a freezing problem. Save the vodka, if I'm ever down that way, I'll help you drink it!
    LOL!! It's a deal!

I really don't want to remove the top valve but I read so many post here of people checking their spider gaskets so I assumed it had to be done. If leaving it is cool then I will do that.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Glock

I really don't want to remove the top valve but I read so many post here of people checking their spider gaskets so I assumed it had to be done. If leaving it is cool then I will do that.
    I never remove mine. Just drain the water, put the valve to winterize and you'll be good.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.