Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool - shocked it - now cloudy ..

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool - shocked it - now cloudy ..

: Well..we are closing our new pool for the first time. Never done this before. We installed the pool and filled momorial day and it has been crystal clear ever since using The BBB method. I stopped by the pool store for the first time yesterday and asked what I need to close the pool and sold me a kit with shock and algaecide (bioguard winter kit). I followed the directions and when I added it to the pool it turned cloudy. I got a little nervous.... Why would it turn cloudy? Is it normal?

I also have to add... I have never shocked the pool...ever. My levels were always good and was clear.

My test readings before adding shock and algaecide

Free C.= 3
    C,C - 0.5
    PH. - 7.5
    TA - 110
    CYA- 70
    Cal 170

I'm going to leave the pump on all night... Should I be doing something?

Thanks.

Geo
    21 10500 gal AGP 52' sides, haward 3/4 hp xl pump and earth filter ec50
    Using the bbb method. Tf-100 kit. My first pool so learning in progress!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing pool - shocked it - now cloudy ..

That FC of 3ppm is too low for your CYA level of 70ppm ... although sounds like you may have avoided the algae, but could have been close to a bloom.

I have to ask, if you had such great results following the BBB method, why on earth did you go to the pool store for closing advice? There is an article in Pool School:
    pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool

All you needed to do was wait for the water to get below 60 degrees and then boost FC up toward shock level and optionally add some polyquat algaecide.

I was assuming that the "shock" was cal-hypo, but the Arctic Blue stuff is actually dichlor (adding more CYA to your already high level). So, I am not sure why it got cloudy ... unless there really was algae that is now dead and floating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason,
    Thank you. I only went to the pool store because we had a $50 credit from buying the pool, good for any thing on display in the show room. It was good till the end of year...so the kit was a freebie. I also wanted to pick up the air pillow. I could not wait till 60 deg water temp to close. I'm at 67 deg now, but the leaves are falling and have to get it covered or it will be a mess.

Should I be doing anything because it's cloudy? Or just keep the pump running.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rpm90001
    : Well..we are closing our new pool for the first time. Never done this before. We installed the pool and filled momorial day and it has been crystal clear ever since using The BBB method. I stopped by the pool store for the first time yesterday and asked what I need to close the pool and sold me a kit with shock and algaecide (bioguard winter kit). I followed the directions and when I added it to the pool it turned cloudy. I got a little nervous.... Why would it turn cloudy? Is it normal?

I also have to add... I have never shocked the pool...ever. My levels were always good and was clear.

My test readings before adding shock and algaecide

Free C.= 3
    C,C - 0.5
    PH. - 7.5
    TA - 110
    CYA- 70
    Cal 170

I'm going to leave the pump on all night... Should I be doing something?

Thanks.

Geo
    New readings would be good.
    follow normal shock process now...

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I bet the cloudiness is from the algaecide, but JB may be correct in that it could also be a nascent algae bloom that the high FC started killing off.

And as UWV said, a new set of test results would be good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Not trying to be a pain but why would it matter if your pool is cloudy if you are closing the pool for the winter. Why do anything to the water, won't the shock wear off after a couple of days. The water is going to sit in the pool for 6 months with no filter or any more chemicals.

7. Back To Top    #7

When I closed last year I upped the FC to shock level and covered it. When I opened this year, I still had detectable FC in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken
    Not trying to be a pain but why would it matter if your pool is cloudy if you are closing the pool for the winter. Why do anything to the water, won't the shock wear off after a couple of days. The water is going to sit in the pool for 6 months with no filter or any more chemicals.

According to what I've read here, you can indeed open to a clear pool in the spring if you follow the instructions on this website. I never knew that until I read it here!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken
    Why do anything to the water, won't the shock wear off after a couple of days.
    Chlorine is consumed by two things - sunlight and organics. If you close the pool up clean, you are eliminating both of those factors from the equation. With no light under the cover and cold temperatures in the air and water, any new algae will be extremely slow to grow, and that will in turn result in a very, very slow chlorine consumption.

I have every intention of closing my clean pool in a few weeks, and then opening to a clean pool with measurable FC in the spring.

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

I ran the pump all night and when I got home from work today it is back crystal clear.

Here is the new numbers

Ph 7.5
    FC 13
    Cc 0.5
    Ta 110
    Ch 180
    Cya I could not do ran out of cya reagent. When I bought my kit, it leaked during shipment and lost some. Yesterday it was at 70

I know I was just closing it, but I wanted it clear before covering it. I want to do everything I can to make sure when we open it next year we will not have any issues.

Thanks for the help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Great! Raise the FC to shock level and close it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator