Simple, manual vacuum (non-robot) suggestions

Sep 20, 2012
Seems like most of the threads cover the robotic cleaners but since I need to watch my spending after a recent house (and hence pool) purchase, I would like to start more cheaply with something I just push around (and maybe just hook up to the skimmer?).

Any recommendations for a fiberglass pool of medium size?

P.S. I view cleaning my pool as part of my workout routine so I am not afraid of something that might require a little muscle ;)

short sale pool said:
Thanks!

I am having trouble finding the skimmer plate (old Anthony pool with a square housing). Can I just plug the hose directly into the suction whole in the skimmer?

Yes, but you might want to add a leaf canister (helps to avoid clogging the skimmer line).

Qwaxalot said:
short sale pool said:
Thanks!

I am having trouble finding the skimmer plate (old Anthony pool with a square housing). Can I just plug the hose directly into the suction whole in the skimmer?

Yes, but you might want to add a leaf canister (helps to avoid clogging the skimmer line).

OK, good advice. Thanks.

I may end up going with a self powered one/self contained with bag, but can't afford the robot at the moment. We'll see. Might have to see how well a hose connects in the skimmer.

short sale pool said:
Thanks!

I have been plugging straight into the skimmer hole with no plate since 1964 (when we retrofitted a skimmer into our 1946 pool). I don't think they even made skimmer plates in those days--the skimmer itself was cast aluminum. We had to thread an adapter nipple into the bottom to connect the hose. Now they set up the skimmers so you can just put the cuff into the hole and the sleeve there plus the suction will hold the hose in place--no nipple or connector needed.

If there are a lot of leaves or other junk, I will dump the pump basket when suction drops--usually halfway through is enough. Any more than that, you should have used a leaf rake first.

Just remember to fill the hose with water first. I just hold it up against a return for 30 seconds or so until the hose sinks along its entire length.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.