Lazy L Winter Cover Question

kabz

Jun 5, 2012
My husband and I put in a Lazy L 16'x38' this summer. This will be our first closing. We are in Iowa, so it will be soon. I don't have a cover yet. We are not doing safety cover, just winter cover and water bags. I was assuming I could get one the right shape. I have only found one like that at Best Buy Pool Supply. Otherwise, I guess I am supposed to get a rectangle big enough to cover the whole thing. That is fine except that the extra part will go into the landscaping (part of the reason we went with the Lazy L - to get it to fit there). So, I really want the right shape. Is there anywhere else I can get a non-rectangle winter cover? For solar covers, I have seen suggestions to cut them to fit a Lazy L. Can this be done with a winter cover?

Second, do I want mesh or solid? Growing up, our pool had a solid vinyl cover that we put on in the winter. I have no experience with mesh. There will be A LOT of leaves.

Thanks!

Yes you can cut the tarp cover. Try to round your cuts as not to allow an area for which the cover will tear. I would use a regular cover (solid, kinda like a tarp) and use a pump the keep the water off the cover. By keeping the water off the cover the leaves should stay mostly dry and will make it easier to remove in the spring.

kabz said:
My husband and I put in a Lazy L 16'x38' this summer. This will be our first closing. We are in Iowa, so it will be soon. I don't have a cover yet. We are not doing safety cover, just winter cover and water bags. I was assuming I could get one the right shape. I have only found one like that at Best Buy Pool Supply. Otherwise, I guess I am supposed to get a rectangle big enough to cover the whole thing. That is fine except that the extra part will go into the landscaping (part of the reason we went with the Lazy L - to get it to fit there). So, I really want the right shape. Is there anywhere else I can get a non-rectangle winter cover? For solar covers, I have seen suggestions to cut them to fit a Lazy L. Can this be done with a winter cover?

Second, do I want mesh or solid? Growing up, our pool had a solid vinyl cover that we put on in the winter. I have no experience with mesh. There will be A LOT of leaves.

Thanks!

You can fold the excess under the cover on the areas where it interferes with the landscaping, but the cover has to be solid. If there's going to be a lot of leaves, you can use a leaf net on top of the solid cover and pull it off (with the leaves) when they're done falling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.