huge leak overnite

May 23, 2010
union beach n.j.
my pool lost 4-5 inches in one nite. any ideas what could have happened? (20x40) i.g. yesturday at 5:00 pm pool water was at normal level, filter ran from 4:00 till 10:00 pm, 3:00 pm today all that water was gone, nothing visible, no leaks in the filter area, pump runs good with normal psi, what gives?

well its been 48 hrs since leak started ive lost 13 inches and counting, im just below the return lines now, just got some food dye and im going in too do a visual as soon as it warms up a little, there are no visible signs of tears from above, im going to check the stairs first then bottom drain, then the rest of the pool. no body was in the pool for 4 days prior to this and i found no debris that could have fell in and caused a tear either. i dont know, but ive got to close this pool before the next big storm or that will be a disaster w/ all the leaves coming soon.

I would plug the main drain for a couple of days and see if the leak stops. If it doesn't then you can check the liner for leaks. If you have a light or hand rails, anything that requires an opening in the liner should be checked. Check the seams as well.

found it, a one inch hole in the liner at the bottom of one of the corners on the shallow side, i must have poped a hole w/ my brush cause the corners are not stuck to the wall nothing but air behind them like balloons, the dye works great. i patched it up now just have to wait and see if the water level holds.

thanks, i think it did fix it, almost 20 hours and not a single drop lost, although i lost $200 dollars of water litterally down the drain LOL but i will get that back w/ rain water and snow water that i pump off the cover back into the pool. this was pretty stressful for me, i have no money and was gonna let the pool go if i could not fix it. now im gonna go close it and be done w/ it till next season. and hope there is water in it when i open it lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.