Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: huge leak overnite

1. Back To Top    #1

huge leak overnite

my pool lost 4-5 inches in one nite. any ideas what could have happened? (20x40) i.g. yesturday at 5:00 pm pool water was at normal level, filter ran from 4:00 till 10:00 pm, 3:00 pm today all that water was gone, nothing visible, no leaks in the filter area, pump runs good with normal psi, what gives?
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: huge leak overnite

Turn the pump off and plug the skimmer and returns and see if it still leaks. If it does it's the liner ir it doesn't, it's the plumbing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

the water i lost brought it below the skimmer, im pumping through the bottom drain and still losing water, i got a feeling its the plumbing in the pressure side. i shut the pump off and am doing a bucket test right now see what happens tommorow.
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

4. Back To Top    #4

The leak could still be in the return plumbing if the water is not below the returns. So, as Dave suggested plug the returns and see if the level keeps going down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

yes i meant to say that i pluged it up and am doing the test, i only have one return so that helps narrow that down as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

well its been 48 hrs since leak started ive lost 13 inches and counting, im just below the return lines now, just got some food dye and im going in too do a visual as soon as it warms up a little, there are no visible signs of tears from above, im going to check the stairs first then bottom drain, then the rest of the pool. no body was in the pool for 4 days prior to this and i found no debris that could have fell in and caused a tear either. i dont know, but ive got to close this pool before the next big storm or that will be a disaster w/ all the leaves coming soon.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would plug the main drain for a couple of days and see if the leak stops. If it doesn't then you can check the liner for leaks. If you have a light or hand rails, anything that requires an opening in the liner should be checked. Check the seams as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

found it, a one inch hole in the liner at the bottom of one of the corners on the shallow side, i must have poped a hole w/ my brush cause the corners are not stuck to the wall nothing but air behind them like balloons, the dye works great. i patched it up now just have to wait and see if the water level holds.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good find. Hope it fixes everything.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks, i think it did fix it, almost 20 hours and not a single drop lost, although i lost $200 dollars of water litterally down the drain LOL but i will get that back w/ rain water and snow water that i pump off the cover back into the pool. this was pretty stressful for me, i have no money and was gonna let the pool go if i could not fix it. now im gonna go close it and be done w/ it till next season. and hope there is water in it when i open it lol

11. Back To Top    #11

What kind of dye did you use (just in case...no holes now but my liner is elderly
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

12. Back To Top    #12

its not dye persay, its regular food coloring from any super market.