Need Advice on How to Install Oval Overlap Liner

Jul 21, 2012
We're still working on putting up a used 15' x 30' x 48" oval steel wall pool. The ground has been properly leveled. We installed 1/2" extruded polystyrene and a foam cove. We purchased a liner a while ago but found that it was damaged so we had to get another. The pool supply store only had an expandable liner in stock so that's what we're using.

We tried to install it today. It was much harder than I had hoped it would be. We couldn't figure out where the center of the oval should go as there is no center marking on the liner so we took it down. The liner is now laying at the bottom of the pool in 100 degree heat. I hope that won't hurt it. We tried watching some youtube videos but we're still not sure what to do to make this thing fit correctly. Should we take it out and lay it on the lawn and try to fold it in half to find the center? I'm really disgusted that the liner doesn't come with a center mark. This would have made the installation so much easier, in my uneducated opinion.

One installer posted that he completely installs the pool supports including the top rail before putting in the liner. Here is the link: http://www.shadebuilder.com/Above-Groun ... ation.html He then pulls the liner over the top rail until the bottom seam is near the top and begins filling with water while slowly letting the liner fall in. He claims that it's much easier to do it that way. To me, it seems like it would be a lot of work to have to install the top rail and remove it again after the liner is in but I would be willing to do it if it works. Has anyone tried this method? Doesn't it stretch the liner too much so that it fits too loosely once the top rail is removed? Would this method be easier than installing from the inside?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm really beginning to loose patience with this project. We've been working on this pool way too long and I hope my kids can swim for at least a couple of weeks before it gets too cold.

We installed an overlap liner in our pool. I can't say I'm an expert but can give you my experience so you can hopefully have an even better one.

1) Make sure your foam is as close to the steel walls as possible.
2) Overlap at least 1 ft on the edges. Basically get the center of the pool liner off the around.
3) Fill is slowly at first if possible
4) Don't cut the hole for return/skimmer until the water starts to climb the walls. ie cut it as late as possible
5) I've seen varying methods, some with clothes pins, binder clips, duct tape, etc to hold the liner in place (ie 1 ft overlap) and slowly releasing it to let it slip down. The liner will stretch a lot so you don't even need to let much loose.

Adding the top rails adds a lot of stability to your steel walls, but not really sold on adding them, putting the liner over then taking them off. The methods above are done without the top rail on.

Hope this helps.

I used shadebuilder's (Dennis) method when doing my deepened round pool. I have a few wrinkles but attribute them to the oversized liner. It's for 72" and we didn't go that deep, time and effort gave out first :). The top rails really add a lot of stability to the pool walls and I used a sand bottom which took a couple of days to get spread, level and smooth so I wanted that extra stability. I still had a tight fit, while the liner is new I think is has some elasticity to it. My pool is nominally a 27' but measures 26'9" in diameter. It was a bit of a stretch to get it over the rails. I pull the liner up until the seam that goes to the bottom of the wall was the same distance from the top all the way around. When water made it to the cove the seam was sitting right at the top of the cove all the way around. One thing I didn't do per Shadebuilder is unfold the liner in the yard and reroll it like a cigar and then put it inside the pool wall. My yard was recently a cow pasture with thorns, rocks and other sharps, it's not much better today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.