Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing to Close

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing to Close

I was going to hire a company to close my pool until they sent a checklist of their responsibilities and mine. Apparently I would be responsible to drain, clean, and worst of all provide a sample to them, and they would come and blow out the lines and put the cover on for $350. No thanks.

I read the instructions in Pool School, but have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to blow out the lines? Pool school checklist doesn't mention this, and if so, how? I have no idea.
    2. Do I need to put any extra chemicals in for the winter (antifreeze)?

thanks a bunch!

edit: I live in NY and it does freeze here...
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing to Close

Hi Martha,

I am going to close my pool today for the first time. I bought a 3 hp air compressor, and planing to use it to brow out the lines. I tried to find some video instructions, and these one seem helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwIJfxH ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al0HukSJ2GQ

Good luck!

-Peter
    Peter
    ================================================
    27K IG plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 horse power, DE filter, Polaris Vac-Sweep
    Taylor k2006

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in Dutchess and can close the pool for ya for half that...LOL

The links above should help, it's really not that hard, but yes you do want to blow out the lines and possibly use antifreeze if you have a main drain. Ensuring the lines are sealed and the main drain is air locked is key. A good shop vac or even leaf blower would work well as you want high volume low pressure when blowing the lines.

Hope this helps!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    I'm in Dutchess and can close the pool for ya for half that...LOL

hey I would take you up on that if you're serious! I really hate being ripped off. send me an email if you're really interested...

mdoty36@yahoo.com

Peter: Thank you, I will be checking those out today...
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

5. Back To Top    #5

Ha...I'm only a private pool owner, but will drop you a PM in case you need any assistance!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I have read/watched everything I can find on the subject... I have a question regarding an air compressor: My pool is 8 feet at the deepend where the main drain is, 20x40. What size compressor do I need? I plan to blow out the lines w/o draining the pool, and am reading some scarey stuff about compressor size. I'd rather not spend $800 on a compressor. Thoughts? Advise?

Thank you!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    A good shop vac or even leaf blower would work well as you want high volume low pressure when blowing the lines.
    Dman, I see you answered my question already. If I am not mistaken I can't blow the lines with a shop vac or leaf blower from the pump can I? I do have a leaf blower.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sure can, you may need to make an appropriate adapter, but it certanly should ba ble to handle it, not sure on about a gas blower as I know mine strains when you put it under pressure. Here is a quick vid that helps explain the concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwIJfxHVNQ

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, so right now I am planning to purchase a shop vac and blow through gizmos at the skimmers. There are 2 returns, 2 main drains, and 2 skimmers. I saw a video where a guy used a soda bottle to adapt it to the top of the gizmo. I don't plan to lower the water level, so I will plug the returns as they blow. My question now is about the main drain. Is it necessary to blow out the main drain as well? Will the main drains blow out if I am pushing air poolside at the skimmer?

edit: should I blow through the pump? if so, is there some kind of adapter to hook to that standard quarter inch port where you plug an air compressor?

SO CONFUSED

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes on the MD, as air is blowing out of it, you would close the valve so that it is air locked.

11. Back To Top    #11

edit: should I blow through the pump? if so, is there some kind of adapter to hook to that standard quarter inch port where you plug an air compressor?

SO CONFUSED
    What i did was take the hose from my Shop-VAC and was able to slide it into one of the pool hoses, then have your woman or a child that's feeling neglected at the moment hold it in the skimmer with the vac on. Turn the multiport valve to recirculate and when the air starts blowing out of the return lines, cap them..

Watch about 5-7 youtube videos on winterizing a pool, and i'm sure you can do it with no problems. It's a pretty painless and simple process.
    1970's kidney shaped pool. 23,000 gallons with concrete bottom and fiberglass walls, both painted in 2012 with epoxy paint. Single speed "energy efficient" 1 hp hayward super pump and hayward S-200 sand filter. Main drain leaks, and is thus disconnected. 16 mil ultraclear solar cover. Located in Northern Indiana. TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Alias

Watch about 5-7 youtube videos on winterizing a pool, and i'm sure you can do it with no problems. It's a pretty painless and simple process.
    man I have been watching and reading like crazy. Im just really nervous about doing it wrong or failing in some way. I'm going to have to buy a shop vac and dont want to incur the expense and then screw up and have to hire someone in the end.

I'm very close to scrapping it and hiring someone!

13. Back To Top    #13

by the way, would a 12 gallon 5hp shop vac do the trick?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Martha_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias

man I have been watching and reading like crazy. Im just really nervous about doing it wrong or failing in some way. I'm going to have to buy a shop vac and dont want to incur the expense and then screw up and have to hire someone in the end.

I'm very close to scrapping it and hiring someone!
    I felt the same before I closed mine over the weekend. The hardest part was putting on the cover(with my mum's help). It was heavy. I had to run to the pool store a few time for the backwash hose, and the plugs. It takes about 4 hours for me.

Good luck with yours!
    Peter
    ================================================
    27K IG plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 horse power, DE filter, Polaris Vac-Sweep
    Taylor k2006

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm gonna go for it. I have a few supplies to buy and then I will be in winterization land. Thank God for this website! everyone is so generous and helpful. Hopefully one day I can give back!

16. Back To Top    #16

Believe me, i was scared when i did mine a few weeks back.. Just bought a house last march so the pool thing was very new to me. But reading a lot of the information provided here, i was able to keep the pool crystal clear all summer long.

But yes closing did scare the **** out me until i started getting into it.. Just take your time this year, plan ahead and you really should not have much trouble. Once you finish you will smack yourself for considering hiring somebody to do it at $400. And next year it will be that much easier since you will already have the process down.
    1970's kidney shaped pool. 23,000 gallons with concrete bottom and fiberglass walls, both painted in 2012 with epoxy paint. Single speed "energy efficient" 1 hp hayward super pump and hayward S-200 sand filter. Main drain leaks, and is thus disconnected. 16 mil ultraclear solar cover. Located in Northern Indiana. TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Alias! I'm new to all of it this year as well. I was able to open and maintain my pool because of this site this year and have been pretty proud of that accomplishment.

18. Back To Top    #18

Good morning everyone! I decided I will drain the pool just below the return lines and blow it out with a shop vac from the skimmer. I have a few more questions...
    1. I can get my hands on a shop vac that's 4.25hp 12 gal. My pool is 20x40 and about 7 feet deep at the main drain. Will this vac be sufficient?

2. I am unsure about how to drain my heater. I don't even ever use it, but I don't know if the pool guy opened it up (or whatever) before I started maintaining the pool this year. PLUS, I cannot find any drain plugs. There are 2 pvc pipes leading into it and a connector. Next to the pipes are 2 black levers. Not sure what they are. Would unscrewing the pvc joints do it?

3. When blowing the lines, what should the multiport on the filter be set to, and to blow out the filter, do I simply change the multiport to backwash with the vac on the skimmer poolside after everything is plugged?

Thanks in advance!!

19. Back To Top    #19

Does the shop vac need to be wet / dry rated or since you are only blowing does a dry only unit seem OK?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

If anyone could answer my last 3 questions id be pretty stoked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast