Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter cover pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter cover pool pump

Hi this is my firs time closing a pool, can you advise me of a good winter cover pump, any help is very much appreciated, thank you. Ps my pool is 16x32 inground
    Intex above ground Rect UltraFrame 12x24x52, 8500gal. Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 14". Intex SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Winter cover pool pump

A lot of people use the Rule cover pump and a few use the Little Giant. I prefer the Rule because they've been making marine pumps for years.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

New Jersey

I burned out two Little Giants before I switched to the Rule. Six years on it now. In NJ, we get rain in any month. Some years we get no snow at all. So the pump really has to stay out all year. The LG's would burn out because they use a float switch and would turn on when the discharge hose was still frozen. The Rule uses circuitry to ensure that the discharge is clear or it shuts down after a few seconds. This system is far superior if your climate is variable like mine.

Rule has a three-year guarantee. Pretty sure LG is a lot less.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

hi guys thank you so much, I almost bought the little giant in ebay, I have never heard of rule pump before until now, thanks again
    Intex above ground Rect UltraFrame 12x24x52, 8500gal. Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 14". Intex SWG.