Went to Leslie Pools to confirm my tests

kkendall

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Phoenix
Took a sample to Leslie Pools to test. Well, it was entertaining.
I did the full round of tests before I went in:

FC 2
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 150
CYA 40

The reason I went in was to get another test against my CH. AZ is supposed to have hard water, and my test didn't support that theory.

As I stood there and watched him run the tests, I was amazed. The nicest way to put it is "sloppy".
He had tubes from the last test he ran still sitting around that hadn't been dumped or rinsed.

I watched him take a tube, dump it and start filling it with my water (didn't even bother to rinse a single tube before filling it for a test!).

He may be good, but he never even held one up to see how close he was to the fill marks for each test.

His results
FC 2
TC 2
pH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 40

When he showed me the results, CH wasn't tested and he had already dumped the remaining sample water. I went back home and came back with another sample.

Now, this test ... He did rinse the tube on this one, then filled it (again, he didn't seem too concerned about how close he was to 25ml

He set it on his mixer, then squirted in 21 drops of the first agent (not 20). I'm thinking, already his test is invalid! Then he put 5 drops of the next agent. Then turned on the mixer.

He took the final agent and started putting in the drops - about as fast as he could add them and still come out as "drops". The sample turned blue at about 24 drops, but he added another 5 past that point. I watched closely at the color as he added the extra drops, but there was no additional change in the blue color.

He set the bottle down and said with a great deal of authority that my calcium hardness was 290 - which is good.

I would agree, if it was really 290, but I don't buy his result for a second.

My test process starts with 20 (not 21 drops), and the final agent is well mixed between each drop and it goes to a purple color, then to blue at drop #15 with no additional color change. I always add a couple more drops over just to be sure.

Conclusion, I trust MY testing procedure AND results. I feel his tests were invalidated before he even started!

To think, people actually trust these guys with their pools.

A friend warned me that they will try to tell me how BAD my phosphates are. Sure enough, it tested high according to their procedure (300 ppb) and he seemed quite anxious to want to talk about THAT test result. He wanted to sell me their PHOSfree product.

I just bought 2 gallons of chlorine and left.

Just FYI, the number of drops of Calcium Buffer R-0010 is not critical. It's just a pH reducer (sodium hydroxide) to precipitate magnesium so that you only measure Calcium Hardness instead of Total Hardness. 21 drops shouldn't invalidate the test. His sloppy too quick mixing and then over-shoot are, of course, not good technique.

Can his method - of sample size being over or under 25 ml by one or two ml, or drops being added so fast - that overshoots the real point where the color changes, so it doesn't show until you're well past it?

If he squeezes too hard and doesn't let the drops form completely before dropping, then the count will be too high. Also, if he doesn't give enough time for the drops to mix well, then he can overshoot. Either way, he'll end up with too high a CH reading. Being off by a percentage in the sample measurement will lead to that percentage error in the result.

Leslie's tried to pull one on me the other day. my results:
FC 1
TC 1
CYA 50
TA 110

She told me to add 5 GALLONS OF CHLORINE! 12%. I said are you sure? She said yep 5 gallons all at once. I knew no more than 2.5 gals would be needed, but decided to put it into the pool calc. Just as I thought, no where near 5 gallons.

Geez.

She also tried to talk me into phos-free and CH chemicals, she said it was very important. I happily denied. Sigh, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.