Ok.. here we go... Starting BBB

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
We've moved into our new home with pool and have a "pool guy" taking care of the pool over the summer.

Now that winter is coming .. Im in SoCal so winter is a relative term, Ive decided to start taking car of the pool myself. Thinking that a winter pool has fewer "problems" than a summer pool I might get my feet wet in caring for the pool.. pardon the pun.

So.. Ive:
1. Ordered a TF100 test kit..
2. Starting to hoard chlorine bleach (buying a bottle everytime I go to the store jut to build up a small supply).. sounds like I'll need at least 4 or so to start
3. Found... "ThePoolCalculator.com"

But I have some questons...

How much Borax and Backing Soda should I have on hand to get stated.. say the first month.

What am I missing..

You're not missing much. :)

Looks like you got a good start. :goodjob:

I wouldn't get any baking soda or borax right now. You may not need either. Once you get the test kit you can test the water and then you'll know whether you need either or some muriatic acid.

My guess is the you're going to have to replace some water if the pool guy has been using trichlor tablets.

Pool School......Forget Baking Soda and Borax for now. I've never used either this year. The biggest item used in the BBB process is knowledge. Knowing what's going into your pool will save you a TON of cash and even more headaches.

Pool School......it's free!

Bama.. why would i need to exchange water.. something to do with the CYA from the tablets Im guessing? Why could I not let the pool chemistry come to me Vs chasing it by draining the pool partially.. Does CYA not degrade?

Can you tell I know enough to be dangerous?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.