Winterizing – need to lower water level?

Gibbs

Jun 27, 2012
We’ll be winterizing the pool soon and I was told years ago to lower the water level 8” below the tile line. I’ve been hearing conflicting information about this and want to know if it lowering the water is necessary. We get freezing temperatures.

The returns are a good 2+ feet below the tile line and in 37 years we've never dropped the water level that low for winterization. I was just curious why Sylvan said lower the level 8" below the tile line but I was never told why that amount. I had assumed it was to prevent water in the lines from freezing.

You should lower it to a few inches below the tile. Ice can pop the tiles off here and there. As far as the 8 inhes goes, that depends on if you have a solid or mesh cover. Normally if you have a mesh cover, you will need to pump some water out of the pool at some point to keep water below the tiles before the top freezes over solid. As far as lowering past the returns, you can do that, but it's really not needed. You can blow the lines without issue with the water above the returns and skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.