Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Neighbor's house foreclosure -- pool needs bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Neighbor's house foreclosure -- pool needs bleach

My neighbor has moved out in anticipation of foreclosure. Their pool has turned green and I"m sure there are some interesting things going on inside. No water flow, electricity is off.

Was considering running over there and just dumping some bleach in the water to prevent things from getting even worse...

Pls don't say test for pH or CYA
    Charlotte, North Carolina, 30k, in-ground concrete (built 2001, remodeled 4/2012), PebbleSheen Blue Aqua, Polaris 360, Jandy 1.0 HP Dual Speed Stealth Pump, Stenner Pump 45MHP2 220v - 1/4" black tubing mounted on 15 gallon UV Gray tank, Jandy CV340 CF, CMP deck jets x6. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Neighbor's house foreclosure -- pool needs bleach

not your job to keep it clear. Get some of the mosquito dunks(?) to chuck in it to prevent them from growing ... although that may become the bank's responsibility eventually.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Totally agree just trying to prevent things getting worse of there is an easy way. gators / pythons / etc...
    Charlotte, North Carolina, 30k, in-ground concrete (built 2001, remodeled 4/2012), PebbleSheen Blue Aqua, Polaris 360, Jandy 1.0 HP Dual Speed Stealth Pump, Stenner Pump 45MHP2 220v - 1/4" black tubing mounted on 15 gallon UV Gray tank, Jandy CV340 CF, CMP deck jets x6. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

With no circulation, it is doomed to become a swamp. Unless you want to add chlorine and brush the pool to mix it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In this day and age, I'd be concerned about being accused of trespassing, especially once the bank takes over.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I see what you are getting at, you are the kinda neighbor everyone needs. That being said, I deal with real estate on the side more as a hobby. A house down the road from me was in the foreclosure limbo for atleast for 2 1/2 years befor it hit the market. In the flooded market the house has sat on the market with 2 price reductions for the last 6 months.
    I hate to say it but just being concerned that you will have to keep doing it for the next year or three, Id leave it alone.
    Property management might keep it up!?
    13'-6" x 33' Blue Hawiian fiberglass IG, Goldline SWG, Hayward 1-1/2 hp dual speed pump, 27" Hayward sand filter, 2x 12v LED lights PB installed. Installed on 8/10/2012

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought one of those homes, and I would have gladly paid you back for the bleach

However, you may have a long haul. Do toss those mosquito dunks in there for your own health and safety.

BTW, it's likely at some future point that house will become the responsibility of Freddie Mac or fanny Mae.
    Just so you know, once there's a broker assigned, Freddie Mac DOES have property management budget allocations that include reimbursement for things such as securing and closing a pool. So at that point you could put in a call to the broker and inquire about the plan to secure it. Because our property was closing in mid november, FM did agree to pay for a soft closing (eg blowing out the lines, etc., even though it was already a swamp) to mitigate any freeze damage.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are in FLA, and it does sound that way, the state will control the mosquito's if you geve them a call. They will either put mosquito eating minnows in the pool, or pucks, depending on if it has an enclosure. Also if you are in a development the HOA may handle it.

9. Back To Top    #9

The tone of your messages sound like you might be concerned about the pool somehow being permanently damaged. If so, don't worry, it won't. It's completely recoverable.

See if you can make sure the pumps won't run as soon as the power comes back on.
    18K Gals, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair Catridge, SWG, Solar & Gas Heat, Pebble Tec, Jandy AquaLinks, Pool Pal for Android.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the replies. I'll throw in some mosquito dunks...that's it. Seems like a hopeless cause with no end in sight. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

11. Back To Top    #11

We were in the same boat... when we bought our house, the owner had neglected it for about three months during the escrow and the pool turned into a swamp. I actually called our county's vector control people to come out and throw some mosquito fish into the pool. I had even asked the escrow company if we could have a pool guy maintain it during the escrow and was denied. This ended up requiring a rather expensive draining and acid wash because there was so much debris in the pool, beyond just the fish and algae. Amazingly, the Whisperflo which was running through the whole affair seemed to survive the ordeal. It was rather sad to see the pool in such a state, which probably drives me to put extra care into maintaining it now.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.