new house and feeling over whelmed

Jul 16, 2012
I will be getting the keys to my new house either today or tomorrow morning. Has an in ground pool that is pretty green right now. I have my taylor test kit ready to go. I just bought a brush, pole, manual vacuum and hose yesterday. I live in central cali in the valley. It is still between 100 and 90 degrees so we still have alittle bit of time to swim. I am just feeling very overwhelmed on where to start. I have gone over pool school a couple times and am going to reread it right now. I guess I don't have any REAL questions just yet, since I haven't got my hands on or in the pool yet. Just nervous about what I am getting myself into. lol

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Sounds like you are more prepared than many people who buy a house with a pool, since you are here :goodjob:

Just to confirm, you got the K-2006 with the FAS-DPD test correct?

Obviously since the pool is green you will be going through the shock process eventually.
The first step is to make sure all the equipment is functioning.
The second step is to do a full set of tests and post them up so we see what you are starting with. Depending on the CYA value, you may have to start with replacing water.

Add any pool and equipment details you have into your signature so we are better able to offer advice.

And certainly ask questions as they come up.

Thank you for the welcome. Correct I have the k-2006 test kit. Once I get in to the house, I plan on taking pictures of the pool itself, and the equipment. Also measuring and figuring out the gallonage of the pool. I will post pictures here of everything. Like I said I am a COMPLETE newb and not even sure on how the equipment works. :cry:

I do already have a funny story about the local pool store. While I was in there yesterday buying all my stuff. The man that was helping me asked if I already had the tablets and I told him no, that I was going with liquid cl (didn't want to ALREADY get into the bbb argument with him). He told me that the liquid is only 10% so it wouldn't stay in there for very long and that I WOULD still need the tablets. I just told him that i would get them another day and continued with my shopping.

Photoman100169, gratz on not being Pool Stored... you are way ahead of the game and there is plenty of advice here to help get you on your way.

You are on the correct path already and have no bad habits from years of Pool Store advice to unlearn. TFP will get your pool clear and help you keep it that way. Good moves and the Pool Store keep up the good work. I have owned a AG pool for 5-6 years and I am on my first year with a new IG pool and have never even set foot in a Pool Store.

photoman100169 said:
He told me that the liquid is only 10% so it wouldn't stay in there for very long and that I WOULD still need the tablets. I just told him that i would get them another day and continued with my shopping.
:goodjob:

I might tell him that although using the 10% Sodium Hypochlorite solution would require that I add it more often then I would have to feed a puck feeder "the tablets" to maintain my pools proper FC level...the benefits I would gain are not needing to drain my pool to lower the cyanuric acid level that the "convenience" of "the tablets" eventually would likely require or constantly adding Sodium tetraborate decahydrate to raise the ph after "the tablets" lower it. :mrgreen:

Liner Pool?

Actually not terrible numbers, although are you sure both your FC and CC are 0.8? I would probably guess at 0.8ppm Total Chlorine (TC) 0.0ppm Free Chlorine (FC) giving a Combined Chlorine (CC) ppm of 0.8 (TC-FC=CC)

Looks like a trip to Wallmart for a few cases of bleach is in order though, I would suggest, given the TA and CYA reading that you just need to start shocking, brushing and hoovering to get it blue and clear again and then make the (minor) corrections to your other chems.

Stu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, as soon as I get home from work this afternoon I will test the PH and see where I stand there. As far as I know, I did the test for the FC and CC right. It said to add two scoops of the powder and it should turn pink (it didn't) and it said if not add it till it does, so I added one more scoop and it turned.

photoman100169 said:
Ok, as soon as I get home from work this afternoon I will test the PH and see where I stand there. As far as I know, I did the test for the FC and CC right. It said to add two scoops of the powder and it should turn pink (it didn't) and it said if not add it till it does, so I added one more scoop and it turned.

I assume this was for a 25ml sample? After you added the DPD powder it did not turn pink at all? Honestly we typically use one heaping scoop or two level scoops. The only reason I have ever seen to add more is if you are shocking and the FC is very high you may need more to be sure you don't run out.

After you added scoop three and it turned pink how long had it been from the start of the testing? Try this...

Use a 10ml sample not 25ml. Add the one heaping scoop or two level scoops. If it is pink start immediately adding drops 1 at a time of the R0871 liquid. Make sure that you are stirring (sloshing) the liquid while adding. Each drop using this 10ml sample = 0.5ppm. The last drop that changes it from pink to clear is the last one you count. This is your Free Chlorine (FC). If it stayed clear, add the required 5 drops of R0003(?) which will test for CC's. The solution should then turn pink or stay clear. If clear - stop your cc's are zero. If pink, add R0871 as before - again counting drops as 0.5ppm each. As before the number of drops times 0.5 = your Combined Chlorine level (CC).

photoman,

UWV is saying (and I agree) that you probably don't have any chlorine in the pool. Redo that test one more time using the 10 ml pool sample....add ONE scoop of powder and if the sample doesn't turn pink, you have no chlorine.

A good proof of that is to do an OTO chlorine test if you have one. If not, trust your FAS/DPD when the sample remains clear afdter one scoop....you have no chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.