Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: square footage of tile needed...

1. Back To Top    #1

square footage of tile needed...

Ok so I decided on a very nice glass tile from NPT....OCN-Doheny IS 12....

We're going to trim out along the sides of the stairs, across the front of the spa and continue along the side of remaining stairs.
    My designer sent me a spec sheet to scale. I have 54 6" tile spaces to fill.....which is 324 inches....27 linear feet, 13 1/2 sq ft.

My pool guy insists I need 22 sq feet (44 linear ft) There's no waste at all on this pc, it's interlocking so the only two pcs to be cut are the end ones. ( I actually called the tile place myself) I can understand getting a few extra pcs for safety sake but that much?

Can anyone chime in on the tile?
    Thanks
    Inground shotcrete, deco & glass tile, 30' x 15', 6 ft depth, 401 sq. ft., Sta-Rite VS3050 pump, 400 Sta-Rite Mod Media Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm Heater, Intellichlor Salt Chlorinator, PV3 Infloor cleaner, IntelliBrite Led Spa & Pool lights. Quartz - Blue Cayman finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: square footage of tile needed...

For floors, I think you want about 10-20% extra for all the cuts etc ... that quote seems like over 60% extra. Which does seem excessive.

Are you sure there is not something you are missing? Ask them to explain why you should buy 60% more than you need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, I've done the math 3 times. I keep coming up with the same thing.

I'm having much difficulty communicating with these people. Everyone is always "out in the field" but they're never in my field ! I'm pretty disgusted at this point. Phone calls go unanswered, emails are 3 days..... I told them I wanted to be home for the shotcrete and I got a call at my office "we'll be there in 30 minutes" WHAT?????? This is what I'm dealing with.
    Inground shotcrete, deco & glass tile, 30' x 15', 6 ft depth, 401 sq. ft., Sta-Rite VS3050 pump, 400 Sta-Rite Mod Media Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm Heater, Intellichlor Salt Chlorinator, PV3 Infloor cleaner, IntelliBrite Led Spa & Pool lights. Quartz - Blue Cayman finish.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Your PB may be gun shy about glass tile. I'm not a builder, however I've seen many instances with renovations using glass tile in which much of the work has to be redone. Things like like tile getting chipped, inconsistent application of thinset leading to color variation...the list goes on.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

He's up-charging me $350 for those 27 linear feet of application. I'm not feeling that I should be responsible for his "gun shyness". Lots of people are using the glass tile now for pools. Don't you think the person doing the tile work should be able to do this? I'm trying to figure out where this guy is coming from. It's interlocking tile, there's no cutting except for the ends. I don't want to be stuck with $400 worth of tile afterwards. It's $50 a square foot.

6. Back To Top    #6

he may be planning on using that extra tile on his next job
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi there,
    I know this is an old thread, but.....Ive devided on the same glass tile as you for my new pool and love the colors! Are you happy with your selection? Would you recommend it? Any pics? Trying to educate myself as much as possible beforehand.
    Thanks so much for your help!
    7500 gallon/ 64 perimter ft/ 24x12 "spool" (small pool) :) /18" raised spa with 6 jets/ Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen/ OK flagstone coping/470 sq ft seeded decking
    DE filter-60/2hp2sp pump/Polaris 280 cleaner/2 hp booster pump/Clorinator-in line feeder/Hayward 400k BTU heater/2 skimmers-5returns/Aqualink PS8 wireless controls

8. Back To Top    #8

I definitely love the tile. It was just a nightmare trying to pull everything together. But I stood my ground and we did have enough tile with my calculations. I'm at work, so I can't post pictures. I can try to later.

9. Back To Top    #9

Im sure its GORGEOUS! Cant wait to see pics! Thank you!
    7500 gallon/ 64 perimter ft/ 24x12 "spool" (small pool) :) /18" raised spa with 6 jets/ Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen/ OK flagstone coping/470 sq ft seeded decking
    DE filter-60/2hp2sp pump/Polaris 280 cleaner/2 hp booster pump/Clorinator-in line feeder/Hayward 400k BTU heater/2 skimmers-5returns/Aqualink PS8 wireless controls

10. Back To Top    #10

Trying to post some photos....
    [attachment=2:3tkz5vqk]pool tile 1.JPG[/attachment:3tkz5vqk]
    [attachment=1:3tkz5vqk]pool tile 2.JPG[/attachment:3tkz5vqk]
    [attachment=0:3tkz5vqk]pool tile 3.JPG[/attachment:3tkz5vqk]
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Got the hang of it. Here are a few more of it all finished.
    [attachment=2:13pzfqix]pool tile 4.jpg[/attachment:13pzfqix]
    [attachment=1:13pzfqix]pool tile 5.jpg[/attachment:13pzfqix]
    [attachment=0:13pzfqix]pool tile 6.jpg[/attachment:13pzfqix]

12. Back To Top    #12

[attachment=2:1wmtd83n]tile 7.jpg[/attachment:1wmtd83n]
    [attachment=1:1wmtd83n]tile 10.jpg[/attachment:1wmtd83n]
    [attachment=0:1wmtd83n]IMG_4115.jpg[/attachment:1wmtd83n]

13. Back To Top    #13

The first photo of the tile is when it had just been installed. It hadn't even been cleaned yet. Cleaned up it's really pretty. What I really like about it is it's iridescence, depending on the amount of sunlight, it gives off several different shades. It's really worked for us. But as you know, it's not cheap. Hence just the center strip and over the top of the spillway. The rest of the tile is Bellagio with accents of Bellagio Deco (can't really see in the photos)
    Good luck.

14. Back To Top    #14

What a gorgeous pool and i LOVE the tile! I looks exactly as i had pictured! Thanks so much for the pics!

15. Back To Top    #15

Gorgeous--I'm actually doing a similar tile for the backsplash in my kitchen. Never thought about glass tile for a pool, but it gives it a nice, modern look.
    36K gal (40 X 20), IG vinyl w/AC, Hayward single speed Super Pump 1hp, Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin Supreme robot
    Cleveland, OH