Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - How to properly close my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - How to properly close my pool

Ok, so I am a relatively new pool owner.....last year I paid someone to close my pool at the cost of $300. I'd like to do it myself this year

I purchased a pool closing kit, so I have all the chemicals I need.....I just don't know the process.

I know water needs to be removed from the lines, I was told I can do this with a wet dry vac...but im honestly not sure which lines need to be blown out.

Here is my set up:
    The pool

The Filter:

First step is to backwash and then remove the filter element and plug all the lines in the pool and skimmers.....beyond that, I need some help
    I do have an elephant cover , so I know that's the last step.

Go easy on me, I am a newbie to this and just learning. Thanks in advance
    7,200 Gal, Cartridge, IG, Fiberglass, PAL-2000 2 Lights System, Hayward Universal H-Series Gas Heater, Oskar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - How to properly close my pool

Where are you located? It makes a difference in the amount of work required.

You almost have it right.
    Backwashing is fine and I assume that's a DE filter so removing the grids and cleaning them is good.
    You need to need to raise the FC to shock level for your CYA and then lower the water level and then blow the lines and plug them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am located in Massachusetts, it is a DE filter

Interesting about draining the water, I remember having to take the plugs out and they were definitly under water.....is that from rain water getting in or did the pool company fill it back up after?
    7,200 Gal, Cartridge, IG, Fiberglass, PAL-2000 2 Lights System, Hayward Universal H-Series Gas Heater, Oskar

4. Back To Top    #4

where do i blow out the lines from? I am assuming inside the skimmer basket attached to the filter, then turn the valve to get the other return lines?

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you don't have any unions it's a little harder. You could blow it from the pool to the pad but that's kind of a pain. Clean the filter then blow from the skimmer all the way through each return.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit