end of 3rd summer with current pump

imcj

May 18, 2010
So this is the end of my 3rd summer with the original pump. Today it started running very loudly. It's still working, but it is loud. Is it getting ready to go out on me? I already replaced my SWG this summer, had water turn green and spent almost two weeks getting it perfect again...boy, this summer needs to end! LOL

Is there something I need to do that is fixable, or do I need to start looking for another pump?
Suggestions if you say I need to replace?

I see you have an Intex pump.
A clog in the lines & air in the system can cause it to be noisy.

Check for junk in the screens at the pool inlet, check the screens on the pump too. Also do a double bleed, shake it a bit with the bleed valve open, pump off. Fire it up for about 5sec, shut it off & do it again. Let it run for a bit and see if it improves.

Recheck for bleed.
If it keeps building up air, you have a leak somewhere or a clog still, causing it to suck air upstream of the clog at one of the fittings, o-rings, gaskets or hoses/hose clamps. Clear the clog and assuming no damage to any of those things or pinholes, or other such cracks, splits, etc.. in the hose(s), then you should be good.

I appreciate your post, but when I right click it does not give me the option to select an image size as step 2) says, it only gives me a menu that includes zoom in, zoom out, show all, quality, print, settings, and global settings. I thought maybe the quality what was I was supposed to select, but each time I right click it only shows me the same menu. Feeling very dumb right now. :(

No, don't feel dumb. It's all part of the learning process. :)
But I know it can be frustrating sometimes, but we're here for you.

It sounds like you are using PhotoBucket, not Flickr. As that's the exact menu I see when I right click on a photo at PhotoBucket, but not at Flickr.
So be sure you are using a Flicker acct.

I see step 3 has changed, this is the web we're talking about, it always changes. ;)
Follow this to find the photo link you need that is referenced in step 3.
Where is the photo file link?

Let me know if you hit anymore snags and I'll be happy to help.

stewart.swf

Still not sure if I did this correctly as I still wasn't able to see the size change when I right clicked although I changed the quality to medium hoping that would downsize it a little.
In regard to what I'm using, I'll admit it is the first time using Flickr, but it does say "Flickr" at the top of the screen and the url is www.flickr.com/photos. I feel like I'm using the right one. You have been so, so helpful. Thank you so much. I'm heading to work so I guess I'll know if this worked at the end of the day. The pump is still loud even though I went through and tried to clean the suggested areas. Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yaaayyyyrrrr!!! You did it. Congrats! :cheers:
I didn't realize you were posting videos, they're a bit of a different beast.

Yeah, that's one noisy pump motor, for sure. I have never heard those bigger Intex units though, so I can't say for sure how far out of range of normal that is, or if it is within range for those units.
I would think it isn't normal.

So you didn't find any clogs at all huh? No hair, leaf bits, etc.. in the suction side "intake" line fitting at the pool wall, on the inside of the pool?

Did you check the cartridge and clean it /w a garden hose?
Try running it without the cartridge for a bit, see if the noise reduces, if so, the cartridge has too much backpressure.
Also, if you run it for part of the day, sometimes it's less, but that usually seems to do it, then turn it off and check the bleed valve, do you get air coming out? Or no?

I checked for any particle of anything and found nothing. I ran the pump without a filter for a short time, but it still was noisy. I replaced the filter instead of cleaning it and still noise. When I open the valves, just water runs out, not air. ???

UltraIntex said:
I once got a leaf or a small stick inside my Intex pump and it made it very noisy until it broke up and passed through.
If its that, there isn't much you can do except wait.

You can certainly disassemble it to fix that, that's what I would do. I'd cringe running it like that.

imcj said:
I checked for any particle of anything and found nothing. I ran the pump without a filter for a short time, but it still was noisy. I replaced the filter instead of cleaning it and still noise. When I open the valves, just water runs out, not air. ???

It sounds like you have been pretty thorough, so if you're confident you haven't missed any areas or checked them, then I'd say you either need to bite the bullet and replace the pump/filter unit, maybe get an Intex Sand Filter, or take the on you have apart and see if the impeller moves freely.
Check for junk in there, and aside from that, if it has resistance, then you have a bad bearing. Intex certainly won't sell it to you, but with the numbers on the bearing and a micrometer to measure the OD of the shaft & ID+OD of the bearing, you will be able to find one on the web more than likely. Most you can just pull off, carefully, being sure to put them back on in the same spot.
One tip, I have seen quite a few fans, little pumps, centrifugal fans, etc.. that use roller skate bearings. HEHE

Yes, if just water comes out the bleed valve, with the PUMP OFF. Then you're air free. Give it a bit of a shake though, tends to get trapped out out.

I would seriously consider the sand filter from Intex, you could do a Hayward too. They have some AGP models.

The 2650gpm unit is about $180 shipped on Amazon last I checked about a week ago or less. For your size pool you would be fine with the 1600gpm model, which is close to 100 bones, but it isn't as well suited for suction side vacuums as well as slower turnover of the water, thus you have to run it more to filter the same amount. Sand filters aren't perfect, but Intex's units are MILES better than their cartridges, not Hayward cartridges and the like, and for day to day use, they'll keep your pool sparkly clean so long as you keep it balanced.
They have trouble clearing a swamp or cloudy water as fast as a high SqFT cartridge or DE filter, but those also cost many, many times more than the sand filters do. You can always add DE or cellulose fiber to your sand filter to help clear up the water or 'polish' it if you'd like.
You loose water to backwashing, but for some people that's a good thing, as it keeps their CYA in check so they have the option to use pucks when they're gone on vacation.
Or you could do what I plan on doing and that's hooking a 1micron filter bag up to the discharge hose and sending it right back into the pool. HEHE

Do not get the SWG all-in-one unit, if you're going to do that, get it separate, Target has them for $99.xx right now. But then again, I now see you have one. Soooo, NM.
You should disconnect the copper electrode though, it just creates problems. Copper ions are a good concept, as they have algaestatic properties, but they're sooo slow at killing algae, that in practice it's just not worth the problems, green hair, water, etc...
Use borates instead.

Hope you make out OK, any further questions, hit me. Sorry if I have been a bit slow to respond, got the Flu today. :(

imcj said:
You have been great...thanks. Hope you feel better!

Thanks imcj, I appreciate that a lot!
Already starting to feel more human. YAAYYYRR!! I like being human, feeling that way is even better. :p

Sure thing, I love helping, hope it ends up being of use to you. Even though it's soon to be winter and your pool will likely be closed, feel free to hang around. Don't be a stranger, there's much to learn here.

Take care!! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.