cat safety?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
We have a deck around half of the pool. Our cats LOVE drinking out of the pool and sitting on the edge. We have TRIED to train them to NOT like the pool but have not had any luck as we both work during the day.

ANY ideas of what we can do for if/when one of them falls in? We know one has slipped but got right out on her own. We saw the water on the deck and her back legs wet.

We looked at the ramp but it says the dog has to be trained so.............

I wonder about a foam float tied to the edge of the pool?

ANY ideas?

Kim

P.S. we bought the property so the cats could enjoy/go outside. Some are former ferals so keeping them inside is not a real option.

As much as the cat may hate it, train them like you would a dog,
Get them in the pool and teach them where the top step is.
Do this a few times.
They may even be able to get out on their own anywhere in the pool if they have nails.
Here is a video on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6fVdAFGSI

Then give them a little push and make sure the training takes while you watch.

You could even take a some videos of this for all the "cat :twisted: lovers" on youtube.

After a couple of times in the water, they might not want to drink there anymore.

I am waiting for all the cat jokes to begin.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but I HAVE thought of that!

I have splashed them when they are near the pool and I am in it. It has helped keep one of them away from the pool. Now for the rest of them!

I am going to try some of the bird netting. Hanging it over the side until it just touches the water. The idea is the cat can hook their claws in it and pull themselves out. Right now I am not sure they could pull themselves out due to the over hang of the top rail. When I do that I will "let" one try it out for me.

Top step idea is not so good as it is just a basic straight up and down ladder so don't think it will work.

Keep the ideas coming!

Kim

I haven't found an answer to this either. I had two fall in one spring. We took winter cover off but had not brought water level up. Just threw solar cover on. Water was freezing and I thought for sure the one cat would die. Have no idea how long he was in the water hanging on to the solar cover. Other one was in the skimmer and above the water level and was ok. Last week we put the winter cover over on to keep the leaves out. Still have water level up and pump running until water temp. drops. The last two evenings I've had to chase the cat off the cover.

You could "operant condition" them with water guns -- a useful cat training technique, ime ;)
(the little cat brain eventually registers 'I better not drink from the pool or someone/something will squirt me.)

I was also thinking you could tie a noodle to the ladder area -- I'm pretty sure they'd figure out to claw the foam back to safety.

Kimkats,

I think your idea is splendid, just splash them, splash them good.
Cats haaatteeee water.
Once they get enough of a taste of it, they're going to stay far, far, far away from there.

I wouldn't even bother with the net just yet, they'll learn.

You could also try a lubricant of some sort on the railing, just make sure it's plastic compatible, if it's plastic that is, if not, should be fine. Slip! Woop! RRRaaarrw! Problem solved, cat learns to stay out of the water and not go near it.
The lubricant can then be easily removed with a degreaser. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what lubricant to use, try by the toothpaste aisle. ;)

I distinctly remember opening the back door one very cold and frigid night and having a feral cat run up onto the pool deck and into a 24' ice cube and break through the ice and hear the loudest roaaaaaar ever. :mrgreen: That was one wet pus and it didn't take him long to get out of the pool. :lol: I figure if they are dumb enough to hang their necks over the ledge then it is what it is. :mrgreen:

Casey said:
I distinctly remember opening the back door one very cold and frigid night and having a feral cat run up onto the pool deck and into a 24' ice cube and break through the ice and hear the loudest roaaaaaar ever. :mrgreen: That was one wet pus and it didn't take him long to get out of the pool. :lol: I figure if they are dumb enough to hang their necks over the ledge then it is what it is. :mrgreen:

LOL *Laughing rather uncontrollably* :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.