Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to make a winter cover look better...

1. Back To Top    #1

How to make a winter cover look better...

Well it is almost time to cover my beautiful oasis. I am in a freeze area so I need to lower the water level, drain lines, etc. for closing. I have not bought my cover yet for the winter. And I can't afford a safety cover this year. So...

I was trying to think of a way to make the closed pool look a little better. The windows of the house look out right onto the pool deck area. When there is a lot of snow, it's all good, but before that, there will be an ugly black cover with water bags or something all around it. I tried to find a better color, but I haven't found anything quite yet.

Anyone have suggestions on this one? It would be so nice to have a better looking pool area for the closed months.
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to make a winter cover look better...

What you need is a cover for your cover that looks like sparkling water.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

That my friend, is an excellent idea. Like a liner print on the tarp!

I was browsing and found that there are a number of places online that sell safety covers that are pre-made rectangles in every size and color for a fraction (1/5th) the price of a custom one. Why can't I get a rectangle safety-cover and just install it so that it covers the pool. It just means that a little more will be on the concrete in some places where there are curves (kidney pool). Perhaps if I was worried I could put some old liner down on the concrete under the cover so it wouldn't rub. I am not too worried about safety on this, it is a close-fenced pool that will be locked for the entire winter season.

What are people's thoughts on this one?
    Josh S
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought about the same thing for my inground pool, but apparently if the cover isn't made for the pool (excessive hang over in your case - not cut out for permanent diving board & slide in my case) it will void the warranty. At least the 3 companies I called said that.
    Farmington Hills, Michigan
    First time pool owner
    40,000 gallon gunite with Roman stairs
    Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Nothing will compare with the view of a sparkling pool, but a custom made safety cover is the next best choice. Where I live now, my pool stays open year-round. But in New England I had a loop loc mesh type safety cover in the off season and it looks nice and tidy. It was custom made to fit the pool and I saved quite a bit by ordering on-line and installing it myself. It's actually pretty easy to measure for a custom cover and install it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I think it will look good - but it's a lot of money. I thought I could save 1/2 by using a standard rectangle. I can remove my diving board completely, and just put it stretched over. I wasn't too worried about voiding the warranty, if it's good when I buy it, it will likely last. But spending $1000 is better to me then spending $3000 for a custom fit one.
    Josh S

7. Back To Top    #7

Wholy Cow! $3,000!! Mother of Carp that's a lot of moola!

I have a 20 x 45 inground with a permanent slide, diving board & stairs & I have 2 quotes for a custom made cover for less than $1,200.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention company names on this forum, but do a google search & start calling around. I can't imagine that a kidney shape would be triple the amount. There are plenty of rectanglular ones out there for a lot less than $1,000. I've seen them in recent weeks large enough to fit my pool for around $600...
    Farmington Hills, Michigan
    First time pool owner
    40,000 gallon gunite with Roman stairs
    Sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If you look on-line you can find several sources for loop loc type covers (competing companies can be quite a bit cheaper). My custom made cover wasn't much more than a standard rectangle of equal size. Certainly not triple. If someone has source or brand to recommend, they can post it. It's been several years since I bought mine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Rectangular safety covers on irregularly shaped pools destroy themselves with winter snow loads. Additionally, an irregular pool requires extra anchors at the curves to properly support them; hence the extra cost. A properly designed and installed safety cover will last 12 to 15 years, do the math.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!