Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Pool early, need some advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing Pool early, need some advice

Hello all, I am going to have to close my pool early as I am going out of town to work for 2 months the 1st of October. If I don't close I will have a pool full of leaves..What I need advice on is this...I have been out of town for 11 days on a cruise . My family came over and kept bleach in the pool and the water is beautiful....but the sides and the bottom are an ugly green. Do I clean the pool first or just add bleach and close it up? If I clean first, should I vacuum first or brush first? If I brush it will turn the water green. If I vacuum slowly the water will stay pretty clear...I am a little confused as to what to do here. Or do I just pour in the bleach and close it up? Thanks so much in advance for your help...Cindy
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Pool early, need some advice

Green = algae. I would vacuum to waste, then follow the shocking guide. Once the pool's clean and passes the OCLT, feel free to close.
    27,000 gal. vinyl in-ground pool w/ 1.5" piping, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, Hayward Pro Series sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Depending on how long the algae has been present will depend on if you can vac it all to waste. I have noticed that sometimes, it will want to stick to the bottom and walls and that requires brushing. I cleared my brother's pool in August of algae that was growing up the sides of the wall and around the bottom by brushing first and then shocking it. Yes, it clouded the water a bit but after the first night, it went right back to sparkling and I continued to shock it for 3 more days. Brushing is a very important step in pool care maintenence and shouldn't be overlooked because you don't want to muddy the water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, it just rained and the pool is overflowing...great time to vac to waste and then I will begin the shock process...thanks for the input!
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3