Order of chems added - daily adjustments

kkendall

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Phoenix
I've seen the question asked a couple times - and the discussion always seems to go to other issues and was never directly answered (if it even matters!) - I also checked the Pool School and didn't see this answered.

When making slight daily adjustments - sometimes we may be adding a little chlorine AND muriatic acid, or???

For us rookies:
Is there an order to adding, or wait time that is recommended between adding the two chemicals??

For myself personally, I usually go through pH- products first then finish with Chlorine (pH+ (Cal Hypo)) quite often the chlorine I am adding will either be Tri-Chlor Pucks or Cal-Hypo Large Tablets so I don't want to add them first, most places I work on I have the pH <7.0 (Acids) closest to the door away from the plant equipment, then a gap before chemicals with a pH of >7.0 (Alkalis)

When using Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) it may well be better to go in reverse of that order, I would surmise, as the bleach will distribute around very quickly with little pH impact.

As for time limits, I'm usually running my chemicals into the skimmer basket with the pump running, so would usually allow sufficient time for each chemical to be cleared of the skimmer and plant equipment, some chemicals will take longer to dissolve through the sand bed, so more time should be allowed, if your adding chemicals in front of the water inlets, you should give each chemical a reasonable amount of time to circulate and disperse throughout the pool, but if your using BBB method you would be able to add bleach then acid within a reasonably short timescale, providing you are well familiar with your targets and what you need to reach those targets.

Regards
Stuart

Could it be considered good practice (even if not really necessary) -
to add chemicals to a 2/3 full 5 gallon bucket of pool water - then add to the pool?

One thing I keep seeing is the idea of adding the chemicals in front of the pool return line.
Well, my return line(s) are the in-floor cleaning pop-ups, water features, or aerator.

So I guess the solution might be to turn on the pump (80% drain & 20% skimmer draw) - then always adding chlorine, muriatic acid, etc. to a bucket of pool water and pouring it back into the pool at various places around the perimeter

Your solution sounds fine. I usually dunk the bucket back in the pool a few times to rinse it out and it mixes the pool water some more. Brushing after adding your chems will help to mix everything up and you will do two chores in one.

With no returns, your solution sounds good to pre-mix everything.

One reason we suggest just pouring in front of a return is so that you are handling (especially the muriatic acid) less. Just lower the bottle in the water and pour slowly from a couple inches above the water ... no splashing, etc. With the bucket you have to pour the acid into the bucket and then try to mix it and then try to pour the big bucket slowly ... just more opportunity for an accident. This is also why I do not worry too much about trying to measure a specific amount of acid in a measuring cup or something ... close is good enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.