Pool closing--to drain or not to drain below return???

Jan 19, 2012
Richland, PA
First time closer--
24x54 sharkline agp owner--first year
I hear people say to drain several inches below the return, while others claim to cover the skimmer opening with some sort of water tight sealer(plate), and then plug return eyeball so as to keep there water level pretty much same level as needed to swim.

What is best way to close? It would be nice to keep as much water as possible so as not to have to top off in spring, but are you gambling with ice damage leaving the pool full over winter??

Also--best cover for a plastic top rail pool--very very windy at our place, and what is purpose of an inflated pillow under winter cover--expansion control for freezing water??//

Can you tell I'm new at this????

It's hard to give winterizing advice without knowing where you're located.

If you were in my area you don't have to worry about all that fancy freeze protection. Plug the skimmer and return, drain the plumbing and equipment and walk off. Fire it back up next year and you're good.

South Central Pennsylvania
We do get a pretty decent cold winter here most of the time. There are years where we get hammered, years where it's light. All in all you have to be prepared for a bad one. Below zero is not out of the ordinary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.