Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear pool but algae in, on and behind the stair

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear pool but algae in, on and behind the stair

I have something similar to wedding cake steps but smaller. My pool has been clear all summer. I am currently draining the pool so we can install a new liner due to some major tears and we will be renting out the house in Jan. Anyway, I unscrewed the stairs from the deck and pulled them to the side and GROSSNESS came pouring out of the steps! Dark green algae water was inside the steps, behind and under the steps and on the underside of the steps. All summer I have thrown a gallon of bleach ON the steps during my normal chlorination cycle and swept behind them. The past month we have not used the pool but maybe twice. How do I go about getting these steps to not hold so much algae? Like I said, the pool has had NO algae probs all summer and it has been a HOT one here in southern Virginia! I don't want our renters to have problems with algae, although it will be in the contract that they will have to take care of the pool if they want to use it.
    15' RND 48" AGP 5,300 GAL
    16" Sparco Sand filter,I got a new pump in 2010, but not sure what it is
    Successful Convert to BBB and lovin it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear pool but algae in, on and behind the stair

Is there some way to cut holes in the side to improve circulation or permit slipping a trichlor puck inside the steps?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure. The steps are probably 3" thick and have small holes in them already. They also have circulation holes on the sides. I have these http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Migh ... QgodBEsAGg

4. Back To Top    #4

Also must point out that the sides that the treads connect to are filled half way with sand per manufacturers instructions. Not sure if that water is also algae-fide as of yet.

5. Back To Top    #5

I noticed that you said the renters had to keep the pool up "IF THEY WANTED TO USE IT".

What happens if they do not want to use it? I would hate to see you put in a new liner and have it ruined.

We had to give up our wedding cake steps due to not being able to find a way to keep them algae free.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool will be covered and we will be hiring a pool company to check the pool twice a year.