Algee Help

Jun 29, 2012
Glen Burnie, MD
Topics merged. Please no duplicate posts. It makes it harder to keep track of the issue and suggestions. Bama

I have had a few issues within the past two weeks. I need to clear up my water due to the pool installers coming into take a look at my liner that may have a hole, but there is a divit that needs looked at.

A week ago, pool was green and levels were crazy with the test strips and took a sample to Namco. I followed thier directions on what to use, but still not clear. As of the past three days, my pool looks like Fresca (the drink). It has clear water on top, but can't see the bottom due to it being a white cloud. I took another sample yesterday and levels were great! They told me to use "BQ Algaecide" and it would clear up and at night shock the pool. It did get a foam top layer to the water lastnight, so I shocked it. This am it has a small foam top and didn't clear at all.

Hopefully I can get alittle help here! Thanx!!

Water Help needed

Topics merged. Please stop making duplicate posts. Thanks, jblizzle

I posted this in "Algae - Prevention and Treatment", but need help.

I have had a few issues within the past two weeks. I need to clear up my water due to the pool installers coming into take a look at my liner that may have a hole, but there is a divit that needs looked at.

A week ago, pool was green and levels were crazy with the test strips and took a sample to Namco. I followed thier directions on what to use, but still not clear. As of the past three days, my pool looks like Fresca (the drink). It has clear water on top, but can't see the bottom due to it being a white cloud. I took another sample yesterday and levels were great! They told me to use "BQ Algaecide" and it would clear up and at night shock the pool. It did get a foam top layer to the water lastnight, so I shocked it. This am it has a small foam top and didn't clear at all.

Hopefully I can get alittle help here! Thanx!!

After Reading through "Pool School" (which was a lot of great information), I still have the issue with our pool. I put in BQ Algaecide during the day and Shocked the pool at night on Sunday. This am, my pool still has a layer of foam. I did vacum the bottom on Monday to stir up any algee on the bottom and place a fountain arm for the return to shoot under water to the bottom.. Any other ideas??

I did a search online and came up with this:
Blue Shield BQ Algaecide
• Alkyl* dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride *(60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C18, 5% C12) 49.8
• Dialkyl* methyl benzyl ammonium chloride *(60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C18, 5% C12) 0.2
Blue Shield Shock Treatment
• 12-1/2% chlorine, sodium hypochlorite

Well, at least they gave you bleach. Not sure about the algaecide, but my bet is that's what's causing the foaming. At least it's not copper-based. :roll:

In the future, price-compare what you pay for the liquid shock (bleach) from the pool store to stores like Walmart, Aldi, etc. Remember that you'll have to use 2x the amount of Clorox Ultra Bleach/Generic 6% Bleach to have the same effect. In my area, using pool store bleach is cheaper, but it may not be in yours. See my thread on the subject here (note that you'll have to adjust the numbers to match your area's prices and the amounts of chemicals you need from the Pool Calculator): http://www.troublefreepool.com/walmart-bleach-vs-pool-store-bleach-t52968.html

In the meantime, stop adding algaecide and start following the shocking guide. Unfortunately, you don't have a good test kit yet, which you'll need to get (it's worth it for the control you get, trust me), so it's going to be difficult to follow. You can get the test kit we recommend (the TF-100) here: http://www.tftestkits.net/

Good luck! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will check into the prices between the pool store and Walmart, etc. I have to purchase the pool test kit and actually looked into the TF-100.

As I came home from work today, the foam is gone and the water is clear up top, but milky type on the bottom. Not sure what else to try.

You're coming right along then! We typically recommend the TF-100 here, although the Taylor K-2006 (or a rebranded version of it) contains the same tests, albeit in smaller quantities. Purchasing the TF-100 also helps support small business and this forum, if those things make a difference to you.

The foam will dissipate over time; it's a chemical reaction that's occurring and producing a gas when you add chemicals, creating the foam that you see. Foam like this can be caused by any number of things, typically a high metal or calcium content in the pool. Have you used calcium hypochlorite (commonly sold as granulated "shock") or a copper-based algaecide at any point in the pool's history? Providing us with information about the chemicals you typically use in your pool can help us diagnose your pool. Once your water starts to become balanced, the foam should lessen and eventually go away.

The cloudiness in the bottom is simply bleached dead algae, and it will take your DE filter a couple of days (with constant backwashing and good circulation) to clean it all out. Simply continue shocking, following the guide I mentioned above, until the pool is sparkling clean. This will be much easier once you have a test kit; a lot of guesswork regarding the amount of bleach to add is involved without one. If any organic debris is visible on the bottom of the pool, you should try to vacuum it up to reduce the load on the chlorine. Same goes for anything floating on the top.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.