California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
we have a old polaris (3 wheeled) that is working but, I have a question about the backup valve....it doesn't seem to have one???
I guessing this must be a polaris 180 but, not positive (I don't see a number) its pretty old but, has updated parts (wheels, float, etc) so does anyone know if a old polaris had a backup valve?
it seems to do okay cleaning (it helps me out) and everything else seems to be working on it.

thanks,
Chris

I have a 280, so I'm not sure what was standard on the 180. However, the backup valve is only used to get the Polaris out of a corner or someplace that it might get stuck. If yours doesn't get stuck in one spot while cleaning, then you don't need the valve anyway.

Every 3 minutes or so the valve shuts off the water flow to the cleaner and diverts it through the backup valve. This lifts the Polaris and moves it to a different spot in the pool. The valve then switches back to cleaner mode and the Polaris takes off once again.

Oh yeah, if it did have a valve at one time, the previous owners may have deleted it if it failed, after they discovered what it costs. A new one runs $70 from the local pool store. I had to replace mine last year and found a much better price on eBay. :)

great info, thanks!
Yes, I think you are correct about previous owners not replacing it...we also went by Leslie's today and they wanted $77 for it but, luckily I also looked on Ebay and saw way better prices.

it seems okay without it for now, we don't have any obstacles or sharp corners...so maybe we will see how she runs for awhile without it. Its been doing great picking up all these crazy tree seed pods that are everywhere...now I know why know one else has opened their pools (there are tons of trees around)

thanks,
chris

The price of $77 is a bit high.

An easy way to tell which is which...
The 180 has 1 jet in the throat of the cleaner.
The 280 has 2 jets in the throat of the cleaner.
The 380 has 3 jets in the throat of the cleaner.

- Josh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.