EDITED: Need help - how to handle this AGP drain setup

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
All my my homes' gutters/eaves troughs drain into the ground (and I assume sewer system...only lived here 2 months). My 15x30 AGP oval also has a drain pipe running off the skimmer that leads into the ground. But opening the valve doesn't allow any water to drain through it...none, though it does seem to act as a vent pipe - it seems really strange to me that it would vent air for other pipes, but water won't drain through it...something about plumbing that I apparently don't understand.

(I'm sorry, i can't figure out how to post the pics I took for this, they are each 3.67MB, so I have no idea how you guys do it with a 25K limit...if I"m overlooking something, sorry) My skimmer exit line has 2 valves on it. The first valve stops water from getting to the "T-branch", where the skimmer line enters and then branches to either the ground or the filter system. The 2nd valve leads from the T-branch to the ground (I assumed it was to prevent the water from draining into the ground, but I guess it's just a vent pipe?

Here is my best attempt to make a visual of the system
the # represents PVC pipe water line:

#
#
#
#
valve
#
#
################> line to filter
#
#
valve
#
#
continues to ground

Questions:
1) I'm only using siphon to lower the water...I am NOT using the 2 floor drains that the pool also has. I do not know if they've ever been used. Do I need to do anything with those 2 floor drains?

2) How should I handle the 2 valves that come off the skimmer? Should I leave them open and not bother to blow the lines or use antifreeze? Should I blow them & close them? Should I antifreeze them and close them? Other?

3) Is that second valve some how related to the 2 floor drains??? IF so, how??

4) If blowing or antifreeze is involved, how much of each? I know shopvacs and recommended for blowing (how about a leaf blower?), not knowing how long the lines are, I'm not sure how to handle antifreeze if you guys advise it.

5) What is a GIZMO and do I need one?

Thanks for the help! And I'd gladly post pics to help if you can tell me how.

Hiesman84 said:
All my my homes' gutters/eaves troughs drain into the ground (and I assume sewer system...only lived here 2 months). My 15x30 AGP oval also has a drain pipe running off the skimmer that leads into the ground. But opening the valve doesn't allow any water to drain through it...none, though it does seem to act as a vent pipe - it seems really strange to me that it would vent air for other pipes, but water won't drain through it...something about plumbing that I apparently don't understand.

(I'm sorry, i can't figure out how to post the pics I took for this, they are each 3.67MB, so I have no idea how you guys do it with a 25K limit...if I"m overlooking something, sorry) My skimmer exit line has 2 valves on it. The first valve stops water from getting to the "T-branch", where the skimmer line enters and then branches to either the ground or the filter system. The 2nd valve leads from the T-branch to the ground (I assumed it was to prevent the water from draining into the ground, but I guess it's just a vent pipe?

Here is my best attempt to make a visual of the system
the # represents PVC pipe water line:

#
#
#
#
valve
#
#
################> line to filter
#
#
valve
#
#
continues to ground

Questions:
1) I'm only using siphon to lower the water...I am NOT using the 2 floor drains that the pool also has. I do not know if they've ever been used. Do I need to do anything with those 2 floor drains?

2) How should I handle the 2 valves that come off the skimmer? Should I leave them open and not bother to blow the lines or use antifreeze? Should I blow them & close them? Should I antifreeze them and close them? Other?

3) Is that second valve some how related to the 2 floor drains??? IF so, how??

4) If blowing or antifreeze is involved, how much of each? I know shopvacs and recommended for blowing (how about a leaf blower?), not knowing how long the lines are, I'm not sure how to handle antifreeze if you guys advise it.

5) What is a GIZMO and do I need one?

Thanks for the help! And I'd gladly post pics to help if you can tell me how.

Gizmo is the thing that allows the skimmer and main drain to operate independantly via the skimmer suction line to the filter/pump. They are also called spacehips.

Pictures: how-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-full-guide-with-screenshots-t45050.html?hilit=post pictures

They are called something like float diverters to allow you to adjust skimmer/floor suction (either a spaceship or twinkie).

I thought gizmos were used for winterizing the skimmer?

jblizzle said:
They are called something like float diverters to allow you to adjust skimmer/floor suction (either a spaceship or twinkie).

I thought gizmos were used for winterizing the skimmer?
Heck now I'm confused... Mine has separate lines so I haven't needed to learn this!

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.