Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: EDITED: Need help - how to handle this AGP drain setup

1. Back To Top    #1

EDITED: Need help - how to handle this AGP drain setup

All my my homes' gutters/eaves troughs drain into the ground (and I assume sewer system...only lived here 2 months). My 15x30 AGP oval also has a drain pipe running off the skimmer that leads into the ground. But opening the valve doesn't allow any water to drain through it...none, though it does seem to act as a vent pipe - it seems really strange to me that it would vent air for other pipes, but water won't drain through it...something about plumbing that I apparently don't understand.

(I'm sorry, i can't figure out how to post the pics I took for this, they are each 3.67MB, so I have no idea how you guys do it with a 25K limit...if I"m overlooking something, sorry) My skimmer exit line has 2 valves on it. The first valve stops water from getting to the "T-branch", where the skimmer line enters and then branches to either the ground or the filter system. The 2nd valve leads from the T-branch to the ground (I assumed it was to prevent the water from draining into the ground, but I guess it's just a vent pipe?

Here is my best attempt to make a visual of the system
    the # represents PVC pipe water line:

#
    #
    #
    #
    valve
    #
    #
    ################> line to filter
    #
    #
    valve
    #
    #
    continues to ground

Questions:
    1) I'm only using siphon to lower the water...I am NOT using the 2 floor drains that the pool also has. I do not know if they've ever been used. Do I need to do anything with those 2 floor drains?

2) How should I handle the 2 valves that come off the skimmer? Should I leave them open and not bother to blow the lines or use antifreeze? Should I blow them & close them? Should I antifreeze them and close them? Other?

3) Is that second valve some how related to the 2 floor drains??? IF so, how??

4) If blowing or antifreeze is involved, how much of each? I know shopvacs and recommended for blowing (how about a leaf blower?), not knowing how long the lines are, I'm not sure how to handle antifreeze if you guys advise it.

5) What is a GIZMO and do I need one?

Thanks for the help! And I'd gladly post pics to help if you can tell me how.
    ~12,500 sqft above ground, 95 sq ft Sta-Rite Posi-Clear Cartridge filter, installed by previous owner in 2010?, Proud TF100 user!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: EDITED: Need help - how to handle this AGP drain setup

Quote Originally Posted by Hiesman84
    All my my homes' gutters/eaves troughs drain into the ground (and I assume sewer system...only lived here 2 months). My 15x30 AGP oval also has a drain pipe running off the skimmer that leads into the ground. But opening the valve doesn't allow any water to drain through it...none, though it does seem to act as a vent pipe - it seems really strange to me that it would vent air for other pipes, but water won't drain through it...something about plumbing that I apparently don't understand.

(I'm sorry, i can't figure out how to post the pics I took for this, they are each 3.67MB, so I have no idea how you guys do it with a 25K limit...if I"m overlooking something, sorry) My skimmer exit line has 2 valves on it. The first valve stops water from getting to the "T-branch", where the skimmer line enters and then branches to either the ground or the filter system. The 2nd valve leads from the T-branch to the ground (I assumed it was to prevent the water from draining into the ground, but I guess it's just a vent pipe?

Here is my best attempt to make a visual of the system
    the # represents PVC pipe water line:

#
    #
    #
    #
    valve
    #
    #
    ################> line to filter
    #
    #
    valve
    #
    #
    continues to ground

Questions:
    1) I'm only using siphon to lower the water...I am NOT using the 2 floor drains that the pool also has. I do not know if they've ever been used. Do I need to do anything with those 2 floor drains?

2) How should I handle the 2 valves that come off the skimmer? Should I leave them open and not bother to blow the lines or use antifreeze? Should I blow them & close them? Should I antifreeze them and close them? Other?

3) Is that second valve some how related to the 2 floor drains??? IF so, how??

4) If blowing or antifreeze is involved, how much of each? I know shopvacs and recommended for blowing (how about a leaf blower?), not knowing how long the lines are, I'm not sure how to handle antifreeze if you guys advise it.

5) What is a GIZMO and do I need one?

Thanks for the help! And I'd gladly post pics to help if you can tell me how.

Gizmo is the thing that allows the skimmer and main drain to operate independantly via the skimmer suction line to the filter/pump. They are also called spacehips.

Pictures: how-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-full-guide-with-screenshots-t45050.html?hilit=post pictures
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

They are called something like float diverters to allow you to adjust skimmer/floor suction (either a spaceship or twinkie).

I thought gizmos were used for winterizing the skimmer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    They are called something like float diverters to allow you to adjust skimmer/floor suction (either a spaceship or twinkie).

I thought gizmos were used for winterizing the skimmer?
    Heck now I'm confused... Mine has separate lines so I haven't needed to learn this!

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump