Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Winter cover...do I put "some" water on top?

Winter cover...do I put "some" water on top?

Rookie pool person here...

I know there are "Pillows" and other things (like large innertubes in my case) used to support the center of my above ground pool winter cover. Do I want the center of the pool at such a peak that all water runs completely off the pool/cover? Do I want the center elevated but a bit of a "dip" around the sides so that a shallow channel of water accumulates to help hold the cover in place?

I seem to remember reading "Somewhere" that I would normally have the cover sag over the sides and into the pool and place a few inches of water on top to hold the cover in place. Is that true? What is the technique involved when using the tubes/pillows in the middle? Am I not supposed to BOTH use a middle support and the water?
    ~12,500 sqft above ground, 95 sq ft Sta-Rite Posi-Clear Cartridge filter, installed by previous owner in 2010?, Proud TF100 user!

Re: Winter cover...do I put "some" water on top?

You're gonna have some sag no matter what you do. You don't want to pull it tight enough to stretch it over the pool
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

The water can easily evaporate after a few reasonably hot days, also, if wind gets up under the cover it can easily push the water to one side.
    I recommend just putting the cover on and securing it with the cord and/or lashed to many bleach jugs filled with water.
    Once some snow gets in there it will provide some stable weight to keep the cover down, make sure there's ample slack for the weight of the snow to pull on the cover, if tied too tight it can buckle the walls.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Cramar,

What exactly is ample slack for the weight of the snow? I mean, how do I determine how tight to pull it? Also, is it advisable to brush the snow off with some frequency to avoid the extra stress?
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 20,000 gallons
    Hayward Swim Pro Voyager cartridge filter, 150 sq foot
    1HP Waterway pump
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)