Adding calcium

kkendall

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Phoenix
What are the acceptable methods of adding calcium to a pool? I'v read where some just spread it around the surface of the pool.

Was wondering if it's a bad idea to open the skimmer valve to 100%, turning the pump on high, and adding it to the skimmer return a couple cups at a time over several hours.

People with more experience than me can probably give you better advice about adding calcium, but I will relate that I too added calcium in the first few weeks after we opened our pool. I now realize I probably didn't need to since our tap water has a fair amount of calcium - now I battle with too much calcium. In retrospect I could have waited and the water would have been at goal levels within a few months without adding additional calcium.

Per the startup card:

4th THROUGH THE 28th DAY
After the 4th Day - calcium levels should be adjusted slowly over the 28 day period not to exceed 200 ppm

My CH Tests
4-Sep Pump Startup
7-Sep 120
11-Sep 130
16-Sep 150 (was 150 a couple days ago as well)

Mixing about a pound of Hardness Plus (Leslie's) in a bucket of pool water - then pouring back in around the pool - then runing the pump for about an hour.

Will test and then repeat every few days if needed.

Got a speed stir today so I gave it a test drive on the CH test

Out of the tap - 130
Out of the pool - 150

I gave each test two extra drops to see if any further color change could be seen.

After getting Leslies test results, and seeing his test methodology, I liked MY number better. He said he didn't have any Hardness Plus, so I went to a different store and picked up an 8 lb tub.

Over the course of a week or so, I began adding it. Dissolving some in a bucket of pool water and pouring it back in at various places. I continued to test the CH and wasn't seeing much difference - after all 8 lbs were added, I saw the CH somewhere around 190.

Then yesterday, I tried mixing in 2 drops of R0012 right after the 20 drops of R0010 then proceeded with the test. It now reads about 200 to 210.

Stop where you are. It will continue to increase slowly over an extended period.

I gave each test two extra drops to see if any further color change could be seen.
To avoid confusion, drops based test are complete when no further color change can be observed. In other words, when the last drop produces no color change, that is the end of the test. Subtract that last drop and the result is your test result.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.