Closing concerns

waterbugs57

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2012
SW Pennsylvania
Hello, new to pool stuff. I want to start off by thanking those that advised against the vision pro mineral cartridge system last month when my pool was being installed. Short season, but i really loved the little time spent in the pool. I wanted to start off with the BBB system, but i had a bunch of chemicals that came with the pool so i made due. Now I am closing my pool. I have cleaned thoroughly (vacuum and brushed walls) removed steps, covered with winter covering. I tested my water with all chemicals falling in normal parameters. I am using aquacheck strips. Plan on having recommended kit for start-up. Can I trust this test enough to treat my pool for the winter? I believe the CYA is slighter lower than ideal, should I raise it with stabilizer before I close? I bought 10% liquid chlorine to shock for winter. How long should i let the pump filter run after putting in all that chlorine before shutting filter down? I have not put the cover on permanently because I need to figure out what to use as pillow for the cover. Pool is 21 x 43 . How much surface space must I take up with inflatables? A lot of questions, I know. Thank you to anyone that has some answers for me. Just had to add a few more. Do I need to remove the light that is in the return housing? And just how much water should I drain? What are the thoughts on the little gizmos that cover the skimmer as opposed to draining water below? Melinda

Reading CYA on strips is next to impossible. You don't need to shock to close it, just keep the pool balanced then put the cover on. I prefer to plug up the return (yes remove the light) and instead of a gizzmo I would install an Aquador then remove the piping from the pool. I dont' use air pillows, I prefer and auto-pump in the middle of teh cover.

Kevin, thank you for your help. I orderd the test kit recommended on TFP and it should be here tommorow. I will follow the recommendations to get the water balanced before closing. I understand I will need to keep checking it even though it is covered, until I am ready to shut it down. I am trying to wait until the temp drops but the thought of having to do anything out there in unfavorable weather keeps me anxious to get it done! I will heed your advise to take the light out and find a plug for the hole. Looking into the aqua door as well. Thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.