Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is proper winter care/storage for my solar cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is proper winter care/storage for my solar cover?

Standard white bubble-wrap type solar cover, 15x30 oval. What do I need to do with this thing over the winter?

- Mop/brush the top side with a 10:1 water/bleach mix?
    - Roll it up? Fold it up? How tight it ok? Does it need to be as "open" as practically possible to minimize moisture getting trapped inside and mildew build-up?
    - Inside (garage or basement) vs outside (shed) make a difference?
    ~12,500 sqft above ground, 95 sq ft Sta-Rite Posi-Clear Cartridge filter, installed by previous owner in 2010?, Proud TF100 user!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is proper winter care/storage for my solar cover?

I let mine dry real good on the driveway and blow it off with my backpack blower. It then gets rolled up and placed in a contractor sized trash bag and just losely tie the top. I store it in the garage attic space, but shed, etc would be just fine too...as long as there are no mice around
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What is proper winter care/storage for my solar cover?

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    as long as there are no mice around
    This year I'm planning to try fitting my cover in to a large rubbermade tub. I've always debated about cutting it, maybe now is the time to split it up. Our shed seems to attract mice from the back of our property. Haven't seen many of them this summer, but they're around, my winter cover now needs to be replaced.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]