Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair VS pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair VS pump question

I thought I might have seen somewhere on this forum about trying to keep the pump protected from the elements, notably rain. Is there any need to have the pump protected from rain. I know it's a pool and water is around but is it necessary to build a cover for it.
    Thanks
    20 X 40 Vinyl IG 28K gallons, Heat Siphon Z700HP, Hayward 4820 DE, Hayward SP3400VSP, Jandy aquapure 1400, TFTest Kit, Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair VS pump question

While it'll most likely better for the pump it's hard to say how much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I seem to recall in the manual saying to protect the pump from the elements. With that expensive digital control on it, I put a cover on mine. I've also seen some reports of water getting into the keyboard and screen. For now I just have the bottom of a plastic storage container covering it but plan to build a small cover soon. The storage container works fine for now. Just make sure it doesn't trap heat in the unit.
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

From the manual.
    Install the pump in a sheltered well ventilated location protected from excessive moisture, (i.e., rain,
    sprinklers, etc.).

Not a bad idea to shelter it a bit, especially if you are in a area that gets a lot of rain.
    Big thing is to make sure it cant get submerged at all in a big storm.

5. Back To Top    #5

I called Pentair. The tech told me they are changing the manual. The original instructions are more for flood areas, not general users.
    20 X 40 Vinyl IG 28K gallons, Heat Siphon Z700HP, Hayward 4820 DE, Hayward SP3400VSP, Jandy aquapure 1400, TFTest Kit, Pool School, Pool Calculator