Adding Chemicals

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I need to add about 10 lbs of hardness increaser to my water to bring my level up to 350. I like to start it at the top and let it fall down over the course of time. My question is I have read you should add about 2-3 lbs at a time and let it circulate about 4-6 hours and repeat. Is this necessary to do or could it be added at the same time in increments in a shorter amount of time. Usually what I do is fill up a pail with water and put about 2.5-3 lbs at a time mix it up and let it disolve and pour in the pool in front of a jet and wait a few minutes and repeat.

Is this correct or is that too much at one time?

Thanks.

I usually add it in one go, by adding to the skimmer, and leave the pump running, Hardness Up/Calcium Builder/Calcium Chloride is pretty inert. I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but have never had any issues, what you suggest is a safer method than I deploy so in my humble opinion you will be fine.

Regards
Stu

jblizzle said:
The recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School explains how to add each chemical.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I read that and it says to add it to the deep end of the pool. I would think if you do this it may not disolve fully and just sit at the bottom which would not be good for the pool surface

The calcium chloride dissolves pretty easily so pouring it over a return disperses it reasonably well, but you may need to lightly brush the bottom of the pool to stir up any that settles. It will not harm your pool surface since it is essentially pH neutral.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.