Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Chemicals

I need to add about 10 lbs of hardness increaser to my water to bring my level up to 350. I like to start it at the top and let it fall down over the course of time. My question is I have read you should add about 2-3 lbs at a time and let it circulate about 4-6 hours and repeat. Is this necessary to do or could it be added at the same time in increments in a shorter amount of time. Usually what I do is fill up a pail with water and put about 2.5-3 lbs at a time mix it up and let it disolve and pour in the pool in front of a jet and wait a few minutes and repeat.

Is this correct or is that too much at one time?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Chemicals

I usually add it in one go, by adding to the skimmer, and leave the pump running, Hardness Up/Calcium Builder/Calcium Chloride is pretty inert. I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but have never had any issues, what you suggest is a safer method than I deploy so in my humble opinion you will be fine.

Regards
    Stu
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

3. Back To Top    #3

The recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School explains how to add each chemical.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School explains how to add each chemical.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    I read that and it says to add it to the deep end of the pool. I would think if you do this it may not disolve fully and just sit at the bottom which would not be good for the pool surface
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

The calcium chloride dissolves pretty easily so pouring it over a return disperses it reasonably well, but you may need to lightly brush the bottom of the pool to stir up any that settles. It will not harm your pool surface since it is essentially pH neutral.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"