Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is sodium hydroxide in bleach normal/ok to use in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is sodium hydroxide in bleach normal/ok to use in pool?

Hi guys.

Found some bleach at ALDI supermarket - extremely cheap but only 4% strength sodium hypochlorite. that's ok...

But It also says in the active ingredients it has sodium hydroxide 9%.

Is the sodium hydroxide OK to use in pool?

I am shocking at the moment and can't get the better 13% liquid chlorine...
    13,000 gallon; sand filter; inground; fibreglass; pump not sure yet (need to check); Installed over 12 months ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is sodium hydroxide in bleach normal/ok to use in pool?

Cheap bleaches such as these are not as good as 6% Wall-Mart or 16% Supply but do the job ok, the additional Sodium Hydroxide or "lye" will have a slightly pH+ effect, but not much really. You don't have any real concerns about using it.

Regards
    Stu
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks stu...

It's sunday morning here and I am shocking and can't pick up some 13% till tomorrow.

I'll just get some cheap stuff to keep the shock process happening...

Cheers.
    13,000 gallon; sand filter; inground; fibreglass; pump not sure yet (need to check); Installed over 12 months ago.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure it says 9% sodium hydroxide and not 0.9% (which is still high -- good chlorinating liquid has 0.25% and Clorox bleach is < 0.1%)? If it's truly that high DO NOT USE IT. It will significantly raise the pH and require you to add a lot of acid. If it were truly 9% sodium hydroxide, then it would require about 30 fluid ounces (almost a quart) of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) for every gallon of bleach that you use!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think the peroxide level quoted is correct, I've used Aldi bleach here in the UK many a time for poolside cleaning, washing it into the pool afterwards without any change in pH.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

6. Back To Top    #6

Oops sorry I got it wrong it says 9g / litre which is 0.9%

I will use it this once until I get some liquid chlorine tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

Where do you get the 16% bleach? I normally use the 8.25% from Kroger or WalMart, but was looking at the bleach from Home Depot, which does have <1% Soldium Hydroxide (which is how I found this thread.

I finally learned to NOT use Dollar Tree Bleach, after way too many $$ spent on basically water
    27,000 gallons plaster in ground with Hayward Sand Filter. The pool is older but was repainted this year.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bzbmom View Post
    Where do you get the 16% bleach?
    The OP is in Australia. I'd be interested to know if any U.S. states allow retail sale of 16% bleach.

Some states allow up to 12.5%, some (like mine) cap it at 10%. There are other states still of which I have no idea.
    Intex 16' x 8' x 42" Prism Frame AGP, vinyl liner, 3,300 gal, opened 5/28/2017. Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump. Cartridge filter (Size A). 6-way HTH testing kit.