Winterizing Pool Steps - Let them Freeze in?

May 25, 2012
I have a set of "wedding cake steps" for a 24' above ground pool. I live in a snow-belt area off of Lake Erie that sees up to 250" of snow a season, plus pretty cold conditions. The steps have sand-filled weights in the bottom that are screwed on. It would be a challenge to try to disassemble them under water. (We had to assemble above ground on the deck and then push the thing into the pool).

Should I remove the rail and just let them freeze in place? There's a liner underneath them between it and the pool liner.
Should I move them to the center of the pool and use them to keep the winter cover up? Maybe tip them over so they are totally under water?

What would you do?

Ugh... Makes sense. I *think* I should be able to lift/tip them up onto the pool deck. Once there, I'm sure I can put them away. They are hollow steps meaning that there's a large cavity of open area underneath them.

Thanks.

I have the wedding style steps and have weights in the one step. We were able to get the steps out without getting in the water. Very tall grandson with long arms was able to grab them and tip them so my husband and I could grab each side and we pulled them out with out any problems. Just be careful not to rub the liner. We pushed it out away from the liner a little before tipping and lifting it.

Well, my wife and I were successfully able to "lift and tip" the stairs onto the deck. It really wasn't as hard as I thought for 120lbs of sand, plus the stairs. The worst part was the 72 degree water! (I had my wet suite on though).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.